PDA

View Full Version : Just for Fun What's the "Perfect" Ubuntu Build

ceponatia2
August 16th, 2017, 04:05 PM
What do you folks reckon would be the best hardware setup for Ubuntu that would result in the fewest hardware problems out of the box? As this is just for giggles, price is of no consequence.

wildmanne39
August 16th, 2017, 04:10 PM
Thread moved to The Cafe.

mastablasta
August 17th, 2017, 07:59 AM
RPi 3

any of the system76 PCs or Zareason or mint box

Andreyshel
August 17th, 2017, 03:42 PM
One U.S company only sells computers equipped with linux.
Can be interesting in context of this topic.

deadflowr
August 17th, 2017, 07:37 PM
One U.S company only sells computers equipped with linux.
Can be interesting in context of this topic.

Already mentioned, system76: https://system76.com/
We also have a special sub-forum just for system76: https://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=341
System76 used to provide someone who could help users who posted in that forum, I'm not sure if they still do.

poorguy
August 17th, 2017, 08:49 PM
Dell with all Intel have always given excellent results out of the box for the desktops that I use.

sp40140
August 19th, 2017, 12:30 AM
The perfect Ubuntu build for me is the one which has all the hardware drivers built supported and optimized for linux / ubuntu. I have HP laptop dual boot with win7 and Ubuntu 17.04. The screen response isn't even comparable. Win drivers are just miles ahead.
Back to reality: Dell precision workstations (both laptop and desktops) have specs which are very close to what I consider "good" build.

Andreyshel
August 19th, 2017, 10:59 AM
Already mentioned, system76: https://system76.com/
Actually, i was thinking about another one:
Thinkpenguin https://www.thinkpenguin.com
But perfect computer build for me is that i chose completely by myself.
it is possible to check linux compatiblity with various hardware databases on the internet.

lammert-nijhof
September 11th, 2017, 06:09 AM
The perfect Linux PC for me is an ex-lease workstation from HP, Dell or Lenovo. The laptop I bought this year and I added directly 4GB and the 1TB SSHD. My desktop has been built in 2008 and I bought it in 2014 and I intend to use it 1 - 2 years more, trying to reach at least its 10 years birthday in October 2018. I never had problems with Ubuntu on any ex-lease machine not now and not in the past and that included old 1.5GHz Xeon processors and 18-36GB 10.000 RPM SCSI drives.

This 2008 machine is a constant joy of noticing huge yearly improvements; first adding a fast 135MB/s HDD to speed up booting/loading apps; 3 years later adding a SSD; adding a 1GB GeForce 8400GS video card (the 2010 version) for HD YouTube videos; adding 4GB for running more and larger Virtual Machines; replacing the 3-core Phenom with a 4-core Phenom II, doubling the CPU power. Finally using two not used 320GB 2.5" HDDs in Raid-0, running at 160MB/s to replace the SSD, till the warranty replacement arrives here in December.

ian-weisser
September 11th, 2017, 01:31 PM
The best hardware setup for Ubuntu is a 100-meter high, nuclear-powered battle robot wielding an enormous sword.
Ubuntu's speed, rock-solid performance, and scalability give it the edge when fighting enormous radiation-spawned monsters or alien invaders.

Sure the hardware is expensive. But its more expensive not to!

Perfect Storm
September 11th, 2017, 03:43 PM
The best hardware setup for Ubuntu is a 100-meter high, nuclear-powered battle robot wielding an enormous sword.
Ubuntu's speed, rock-solid performance, and scalability give it the edge when fighting enormous radiation-spawned monsters or alien invaders.

Sure the hardware is expensive. But its more expensive not to!

\o/ \o/ \o/

yoshii
September 11th, 2017, 08:03 PM
For me, the ideal build is a system that keeps the multimedia software on a rolling basis, but everything else (system software/firmware/drivers) on a typical LTS with weekly updates or later or earlier according to user settings. Ubuntu Studio is what I'm into, but every time I get it, all the main software is out of date compared to the author websites. And I'm not talking about running betas either. The Ubuntu repos are too slow for me. And yet I get swamped by security updates every day almost even though I've never had a security problem ever. I just want to make music and art, not fuss with downloads. I can't afford my own internet connection, and hotspots aren't convenient where I live. So to be able to have only certain stuff up to date is much more ideal. I don't want 3 year old KDEnLive or 3 year old LMMS, OpenShot, Audacious, MKVtoolNix, etx. Their websites have stuff that's current, why can't the repos be current like that?

Anyways, I'd like a rackmount desktop hardware system that I could carry in a suitcase instead of a laptop or desktop. I need something as modular as a desktop, but as portable as a laptop. I'm tired of the BIOS fussiness and finicky firmware and hardware of laptops. Desktops are much easier to customize and maintain.

mastablasta
September 12th, 2017, 09:56 AM
Their websites have stuff that's current, why can't the repos be current like that?

if someone did the testing (for the OS compatibility etc.) they probably could have it like that. no one does it so the option is either to use PPA or Snap (if they made it).
edit: one more thing - stable means packages are frozen, so that other developers know what they have, what they are developing against. imagine devoping for a company that is using 16.04 and then having to update your things everytime a new version of multimedia programs comes out (although multimedia might not be such a big issue). but anyway packages are frozen, so that people know what they will get and what they iwll have installed for the next 5 years. for others there are non LTS releases. Ubuntu is aimed at businesses and organisations that need to plan ahead more than the home users. though i have to say i like LTS as well since i no longer have time to deal with OS changes all the time.

in security patches kernel is the biggest one. i too wish they could patch it differently. as it is now it is not convenient for those with mobile prepaid data plans and similar types of limited or expencive internet access.