PDA

View Full Version : Gnome 3.24

Kris_M
August 13th, 2017, 08:06 AM
rewrite: it seemed to have changed, but it did not.

poorguy
August 14th, 2017, 10:26 PM
My first experience of Linux was Debian Wheezy 7.x and I believe it used Gnome 2 and being new to Linux had no problems liking it as I got used to and learned.

From Debian I moved to Ubuntu 14.04 Gnome I believe it may have been Gnome 3 although uncertain it was a lot different although I adapted didn't care for it much.

Stayed with Ubuntu 14.04 using Unity and liked it for the most once I got used to where things were and to me Unity was kinda Windows 8 like with the apps like icons in the dash.

I've moved away from Unity since Ubuntu 16.04 and use Xubuntu 16.04 and Lubuntu 16.04 as I found Xfce and LXDE GUI easier to navigate through imo.

I have no clue what the new Gnome 3.24 GUI is like so uncertain about the reviews I read seems a lot of Ubuntu Unity users don't care for it.

Kris_M
August 14th, 2017, 11:56 PM
Actually I realize I have no idea what gnome will look like on Ubuntu 18 : I had tried an install using a repository that I thought was the one they were using and the hot corner disappeared and there was a popup menu in lower left that made me think of win7. But then I upgraded my 16.04.3 to 17.04 via Ubuntu software update and it looks the same as default gnome did on 16 - hot corner upper left, top bar, optional lower bar. Anyway that's what I'm happily using at the moment(17.04, 3.24.2 Gnome). So I guess I'll just have to wait to see what Ubuntu 18 brings.

EDIT: I just booted artful aardvark and it looks the same. running 3.24.3 . Very far along for having 2 months to go!!!

su:bhatta
August 28th, 2017, 10:30 PM
hot corner upper left, top bar, optional lower bar.

There are few Gnome Extensions which take care of these if you find these irritable : Activities Configurator, TopIcons Plus, check out at :
https://extensions.gnome.org

Kris_M
August 29th, 2017, 02:25 AM
At the moment I find Gnome extremely pleasurable. Don't know where that other stuff came from. We'll see in 18!

HermanAB
August 30th, 2017, 06:40 AM
Hmm, well, the nice about Linux is having many choices.

Even if you made the mistake of installing vanilla Ubuntu, it is very easy to fix by installing XFCE or KDE or whateverwonkythingyouprefer as an additional desktop with something as simple as:
$ sudo apt install xfce4

or if you are a masochist:
$ sudo apt install blackbox