PDA

View Full Version : New pc

dellboy56
August 11th, 2017, 09:37 AM
Hey there Guys been a long since im been on the fourms anyways Im going to build a new pc at the end of the year and i was going to dual boot windows and linux (Have not decided if i want to do both yet) anyways I wanted to ask what PCI Wireless cards work on linux Because i cant use ethernet as im upstairs and my modem is downstairs plus Im also trying to figure out if what CPU and gpu Will work for both if someone can give some tips or anything it would be very good thank you! PS im actually never tried dual booting before because i found it very risky.

wildmanne39
August 11th, 2017, 11:01 AM
Thread moved to The Cafe.

poorguy
August 14th, 2017, 10:54 PM
Hey dellboy56,

I have a Windows and Linux dual boot computer that works well without any conflicts between the two.

The way I set mine up was using two separate hard drives.

Connect only one hard drive and install Windows first.

Disconnect the Windows hard drive and connect the hard drive you are wanting to use for Linux and install.

Connect both hard drives and then power on go into bios and set which hard drive you want to be the first boot.

My computers are older desktops and don't have the UEFI bios but I would think this would work using new motherboards.

Geoffrey_Arndt
August 15th, 2017, 01:14 AM
Regarding assembling a new PC - - it's been my experience that "All Intel" (cpu - gpu - wireless chipset) are the most Linux friendly. Do not opt for dual-graphics systems. If you do some gaming, the Intel Iris Pro series of gpu's work quite well for all but the highest end games. This saves beaucoup time when installing the dual-boot. For dual-boots, I actually prefer to install Linux on an external usbv3 SSD such as the SanDisk Ultra 500 series. The install is done from a bootable usbv3 Live usb-stick - - selecting the attached usbv3 SSD. The result is a more reliable system overall, because you can remove the SSD prior to allowing Windows systems updates.