PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_mate] Can't boot Ubuntu MATE 16.04 - Password input bad - Boot-Repair doesn't work.

pizzipie
August 8th, 2017, 08:16 PM
Hi,

Running Ubuntu MATE 16.04 as primary boot with Ubuntu 14.04 on hard drive as unmounted drive.

Something happened so that when booting Ubuntu 16.04 MATE the Login screen appears and the cursor is positioned in the input field for password but I couldn't type in any letters. I would type my password but input of usual 'stars' was was not mirrored to display. On 'enter' got invalid password message.

I re-booted several times with no results. Decided to Rebuild GRUB with 'Boot-Repair' This did not work in that now the computer boots with Ubuntu 14.04 instead of Ubuntu MATE 16.04. Ubuntu MATE 16.04 is now shown as an unmounted option. If you choose to mount 16.04 it mounts properly and all files seem to be on the disk.

I very reluctantly tried re-installing Ubuntu MATE 16.04 but the installation wants to install alongside the original 16.04 and 14.04. Not what i want at all, so forget about re-installing.

Need help to get Ubuntu MATE 16.04 to boot as primary OS not Ubuntu 14.04.

Thanks for any help,

R