PDA

View Full Version : Great to be here, greg from ohio, Northfield Village spefically

rager-ohio
August 8th, 2017, 03:36 AM
. gone and back again.

Great to be here, greg from ohio, Northfield Village specifically

State of "stuff", listening to TOOL, smoking a rollup (Bugler) and happy as a clam to be running Ubuntu Mate v. 16 -something on my Dell 4600i w/ 3 Gb of ram and an Nvidia vid card. Co installed with my old buggy XP Pro install of 10 yrs. On a 250 Gb sata hdd. And a separate PCI sound card. Something decent, I fergit the exact card.

I have had recent health issues, hypertension. Which has knocked the heck out of me. Parked my K1300GT beemer a ago week ago Sat, And have difficult time touch typing, for now. I will be getting better. I'm not interested in invoking any deities, WE are all that. I still very thankful to be alive for the 67 years I have.

I have been online since 1998. And after the Web, found Usenet. Which google effectively destroyed. Along with DejaVu and a bunch of other archive services. 24hoursupporthelpdesk was my hangout, last handle was Sano. I also lurked and after figuring out how to "wave the chicken" posted to the two main admin ngs (also), Mostly lurked. Had some memorable posts / conversations there - (a couple anyway). Clowns inhabit every niche of the Internet. I got slapped a couple of times.

In any event I must congratulate the Ubuntu community for the Mate flavor of this OS. Installation was flawless on this old box and I will try to help this place as best I can.

I've fooled with Ubuntu, many flavors of *nix, puppy mint and on and on- and have also tried out BSD, I felt I desperately needed an OS I could feel confident didn't have the malware attractiveness of Windows. I started with w95, filled a lent machine w/ junk and dialers and returned it 3 months later. Bought an eMachine with a 333 mhz P2 (I think) good mobo, ran that for many yrs in various 2nd machine uses. Data recovery and testing. The power supply blew after 3 months and I delved into comp repair. Built a few machines after that and have settled on refurbed Dells and all their cutsie hardware foibles. The clowns. I never blew a mobo because of their proclivity for flipping industry std wiring though.

And I like my Jim Beam.

greg

*** I have login for the Ubuntu-Mate.org forum when I installed. Whaa? Maybe a tempest in a teacup.

oldrocker99
August 8th, 2017, 05:04 AM
Welcome! You have installed what is IMHO the best distro, hands down.

rager-ohio
August 8th, 2017, 05:05 AM
Why did this set of forums start as .com and then flipped to . org?

thx oldrocker99 I'm a little baffled by the com to org business.

Intro from the site said I couldn't edit my posts till I had a 10 postcount. Seems to work freely for me.

QIII
August 8th, 2017, 05:17 AM
Moved to the Cafe as it is not a support request.

Hello!

Ubuntu.com is a commercial site for Canonical's OS, Ubuntu.

Ubuntuforums.org is a community user support forum. It was originally started as a personal project by a user called ubuntu-geek, who personally paid for the hosting. In time, the UF caught the eye of Canonical. By the end of 2004, Canonical liked it so much it was made the official forums. In 2006, Canonical graciously assumed hosting. In 2007, the forums' domain name, license, and assets were all transferred to Canonical, which now maintains sole ownership. But the Ubuntu Forums are not "run" by Canonical. We are an all-volunteer user-to-user community -- including the Staff and Admins.

You may edit your posts, but you may not alter your profile until you have reached the minimum required posts. Please do not post chaff to get there. We do not cotton to that.

Please take the time to familiarize yourself with The Ubuntu Forums Rules (https://ubuntuforums.org/misc.php?do=showrules). I have edited your original post. Please take note of the changes.

Cheers!

rager-ohio
August 8th, 2017, 05:22 AM
Welcome! You have installed what is IMHO the best distro, hands down.

yer handle wouldn't rhyme with old sourdough would it?

And yes In like Flynn (the install) for the win! Command line is great if I HAVE a book open. I steill fat finger a bit.

rager-ohio
August 8th, 2017, 05:23 AM
Moved to the Cafe as it is not a support request.

Hello!

Ubuntu.com is a commercial site for Canonical's OS, Ubuntu.

Ubuntuforums.org is a community user support forum hosted by Canonical on their servers. The Ubuntu Forums are not "run" by Canonical. We are an all-volunteer user-to-user community -- including the Staff.

Cheers!
Thx. That's what I WANTED TO HEAR. QIII, wink wink nudge nudge, -- thought I got trolled by the com bizness.