PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] poor 2d performance with nvidia 375.66 and 378.13 (when scrolling, moving windows, wa

mari5ha
August 7th, 2017, 02:40 PM
I completely remove Windows 10 and start using Ubuntu 16.04 lts on my laptop (asus u30sd) but now I experiencing strange issue and for me serious problem with graphics. With x.org driver everything was fine with youtube videos, movies and graphic in generela except 3d games (dota max 15fps) so I change driver to nvidia 375.66 and now dota works great (30 - 50 fps) but now with 2d graphic its really annoying. Fast moving windows, fast scenes in movies on yt videos it looks like that something is wrong with refresh rate (choppy videos). I try with 378.13 but its the same.
I am ubuntu rookie, but I also need help in order to solve this issue. Is it possible to have good 2d and 3d performance in the same time? For me this is important topic, if cannot be solved I will come back to windows, but I would really try to fix this with your help.
br,
Marko

mc4man
August 7th, 2017, 10:58 PM
Were you able to get prime sync going?

mari5ha
August 9th, 2017, 02:49 AM
Sure , I solve this issue on that way. Ty

BloodyIron
August 16th, 2017, 12:59 AM
Compiz may solve your problem. I use nVidia drivers myself, and I found that not using compiz was really bad for 2D performance.

If you're using Unity, you're already using compiz, so this doesn't help you (sorry).

If you're using xubuntu or XFCE4 or something like that, then switching to compiz is likely to improve your experience and FPS (even in dota!). It's a bit tricky, but worth it.

But since I don't know what DE/GUI you're using, I can't give you specific directions here. But I do know your problem is solvable! Stay strong! :^)