PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Huge problems upgrading from 16.10 to 17.04 - no more menu bar or sidebar and etc

Transcix
August 1st, 2017, 07:19 PM
EDIT: There's no solution to my problem so you don't need to bother reading.

Hello and thanks in advance for any help.

I upgraded from Ubuntu 16.10 to 17.04 on one computer and it went fine, but on my other computer there was a huge problem: missing menu bar, missing sidebar, keyboard shortcuts don't seem to work, I can't even open a terminal with the keyboard shortcut. Other characteristics include that the desktop background image I had is gone and is all black instead and the cursor is in the form of an X. I did get the pop-up window the first time showing me around the new features of 17.04.. if it helps, another characteristic is that this window had no x or minimize or maximize icons, it just had something like 'file' where I selected 'close' to get rid of it. Basically I can't access any programs and it's totally unusable.

Fortunately my desktop folders, where I keep all my files, are still visible on the desktop and I can open them. Also if I insert a USB drive it opens in a new window, so I should be able to back-up my files that way. I reinstalled version 16.10 via USB disk in parallel to version 17.04, however my files are only accessible if I start the computer in 17.04. Will I have to transfer all my files from 17.04 to 16.10 manually via USB and install all the programs again in 16.10, or is there a simpler fix for the errors in 17.04?

I would never even have installed 17.04 since apparently it's an optional upgrade, except I got a message on my first computer (where the upgrade succeeded) that I needed to upgrade in order to upgrade certain software that was no longer available. Live and learn.

Thanks for any help, it's really appreciated!

Autodave
August 1st, 2017, 09:43 PM
Every 2 years, a long terms service upgrade is made. This long term service (LTS) will be provided with updates for 5 years. The last one was 16.04 (16 being the year of the update, 04 being the month). Every 6 months there is a new release. However, those releases b etween the LTSs are only covered for updates until the next short term release comes out. The next LTS will be 18.04. Unless you need or want the bleeding edge of ?buntu, you should stick with only the LTS versions. Personally, I only use the LTS and I usually wait for a month after they are issued before I install them. At that point, I do a new install: I do not upgrade to it.

I have never had any luck doing the upgrades at all, so I just prefer to back up everything and do a clean install.

Transcix
August 2nd, 2017, 03:50 PM
Like I said, I wouldn't have upgraded if I hadn't received the message saying it was necessary if I wanted my software to be up-to-date, but in the future I'll disregard those messages. I assume by the lack of replies that there's no way to fix this.. they should really offer some kind of warning if problems are as common-place as people are indicating...

Autodave
August 2nd, 2017, 05:29 PM
The problem is common for me, but not so for others apparently. Why? Dunno. Computers are just like that. You can go into Settings -> Software & Updates -> Updates. In that box, go to the bottom dropdown menu and choose For longterm support versions.

Transcix
August 3rd, 2017, 01:43 AM
Oh well. Thanks for your effort though, Autodave. :)