PDA

View Full Version : Ununtu 16.04 lts to Ubuntu 17.04

Jack_Shankle
July 29th, 2017, 01:27 AM
I am doing this on a windows computer because I can't figure out how to do what I need to
do on my wife's Ubuntu 16.04.2 computer. I know enough about Linux to be dangerous.

Today I attempted to update my wife's computer from Ubuntu 16.04 to Ubuntu 17.04.
It ran successfully but then I found out I could not access the internet.
So I reinstalled Ubuntu 16.04.2 and it's running.

Some stats on her computer:
64-bit, could be uefi might be BIOS. Don't know enough about Ubuntu to find out
which one it is, Kernel 4.4.0-83-generic, she runs Google chrome and Gmail,
Fiber Optics Opticaltel.

I couldn't get any help from the Ubuntu forum because of my lack of knowledge of
Linux. The log in sight caused me no end of trouble.
I am also having trouble with this sight. I probably have posted this message in the
wrong forum. If you move it I will never find it.
Thanks for any help.

BenginM
July 29th, 2017, 04:56 AM
Hiya Jack .. after you SSO login to the forums, you can find your last posts by clicking on your username .. on the new page to the left , click on latest started thread.

wildmanne39
July 29th, 2017, 05:06 AM
I couldn't get any help from the Ubuntu forum because of my lack of knowledge of
Linux.
Where did you get this idea? we help people that have no experience at all.

deadflowr
July 29th, 2017, 05:16 AM
I am also having trouble with this sight. I probably have posted this message in the
wrong forum. If you move it I will never find it.

Rinse and repeat:
This still applies: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2301570&p=13384940#post13384940

Today I attempted to update my wife's computer from Ubuntu 16.04 to Ubuntu 17.04.
There are a few different things that may have been going on with 17.04 and internet.
This may be one of them: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2356729
or something in that range being the problem.

EDIT: oh, we probably need to know what the endgame should be, though.
As the original post wavers between 1604 and 17.04, what do you want the machine to be running?
16.04 seems to be fine, at the moment.
Is there any reason to move up to 17.04?

(16.04 will be supported until 2021, 17.04 is only supported til the end of this year.)
And everything you posted your wife uses is well supported on 16.04.
(Or 2 out of the 3 are, not sure what Fiber Optics Opticaltel is about...)

Jack_Shankle
July 29th, 2017, 11:08 AM
Thank you all for your help.
I'll just stay on Ubuntu 16.04.2.
I'll just do the regular updates and not try to go to Ubuntu 17.04.

Am I correct in what I have just said?

Autodave
July 29th, 2017, 11:35 AM
16.04 is a LTS (long term service release) which will be supported for 5 years with updates. The next LTS will be 18.04. (The 16 indicates the year of 2016, the 04 indicates the month. Thus, 16.04 was released in April of 2016. Any releases until the next LTS are only short term releases which are only supported until the next short term release. It is always best (and safest) to stay with the LTS versions.

vocx
July 29th, 2017, 03:34 PM
I am doing this on a windows computer because I can't figure out how to do what I need to
do on my wife's Ubuntu 16.04.2 computer. I know enough about Linux to be dangerous.

So I reinstalled Ubuntu 16.04.2 and it's running.

Are you the same person as Alligator.

Just trying to keep the latest kernel for 16.04 LTS. Sometime ago I got this apport error. I no longer know enough to be effective, just dangerous.

For some reason your way of writing sounds very similar to Alligator's. He also has a wife and was also trying to upgrade his computer to the latest version. Also, "being dangerous" is a strange way of saying you are not very proficient with computers. Maybe it's a regionalism. I've never heard it before.

deadflowr
July 29th, 2017, 05:47 PM
Am I correct in what I have just said?
I guess.
You're as correct as you can be.

If things work and the system is getting proper updates, then there is little incentive to change that.
When things stop working or it is no longer getting proper updates, then you may consider upgrading.
But for now, the old adage if it ain't broke dont fix it is as good a mantra as anything.