PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Install on Dell Laptop Inspiron 5150

electrosteam
July 26th, 2017, 09:14 AM
Hi all,
A new install on an old (2002) Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop recovered from the back of a cupboard.
Runs XP SP3 with 2GB RAM and 3 GHz processor, boot order re-arranged to enable USB boot.

Used separate machine to Torrent 32 bit image lubuntu and Rufus to make bootable USB Flashdrive on an 8GB Sandisk Cruzer Facet.

Turn-on laptop, select "try lubuntu", and get blue image with lubuntu visible, no response to any keys.

Back to XP, clean laptop of any valuable files, empty Recycle Bin, de-frag the drive.

Turn-on with USB, get cycles of requests for USB driver loading, then Linux selection screen that does not allow changing between Try and Install, appears to go Try, then orange screen with ubuntu 14 visible, and no response to any keys.
Laptop still boots XP.

My plan is to redo the Torrent/Rufus on the USB Flashdrive and try lubuntu on the laptop again.

Just need anybody with experience with this type of laptop and Flashdrve to comment as appropriate.

John

electrosteam
July 26th, 2017, 12:30 PM
Re-did the Rufus step on separate machine.

Power laptop on and get the language selection, then select Try Lubuntu - looked good.

Power cycle, then select Install Lubuntu without XP.

Install looks good, power off, remove flashdrive, power on and Lubuntu is running

Then a strange note on language problem that did not make sense and could not be complied with, close without complaint.

Desktop looks good.

This machine only has socket connections for LAN/internet.
I will get Firefox via separate machine, then try a cable connection to the modem.

So install could be regarded as successful.

The only aspect not happy with is the very long blank screen period as the various parts of lubuntu load, then the Log In screen.
I have Red Hat 9 loaded on an even older tower that displays each module as it loads, very comforting.
Have to see if I can get the same display on lubuntu.

John.