PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't match screen resolution of twin monitors!

tazy50
July 25th, 2017, 05:18 AM
Hello. I've custom-built a gaming computer a few years ago, which I've been running Windows 10 on.
Recently, I've moved on and replaced the OS with Ubuntu 16.04. Guess you could say I "grew out of gaming".
Trying to be a web developer and, in my experience, Unix and Linux are just so much more well-suited for it. Windows is a disaster for anything other than video games.

Anyways, the issue I'm having is with my dual monitors (which worked fine on Windows, BTW. They also work fine on the BIOS screen, given that they merely mirror)
They're twin monitors at a max res of 1600x900.
The problem is with the resolution matching. When both of the displays are set to matching resolutions, the secondary display (right) goes off. It seems to detect no input.
However, when I have mismatched resolutions, both can work, but only when the secondary display has a lower resolution than the primary.
If the primary display has a smaller resolution than the secondary, the primary goes off and the secondary works fine.
This problem has baffled me and I cannot figure out why.
I've tried re-installing Ubuntu. Does not work. I tried to look at Google and YouTube for this problem and others don't seem to have it.
I was hoping somebody here could answer this problem and help me solve this dilemma.

My computer's specs are:
RAM: 4 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (16GB total)
CPU: AMD FX-8370 Black Edition AM3+
GFX: HIS Radeon R9 285 2GB (this is the chink in the armor, and a likely contender for the source of the problem)
HDD: 1TB (not sure which brand, but I doubt it matters)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3P
PSU: Rosewill ARC 750W

As for the monitor model(s), I have this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009696

Any assistance regarding this issue would be heavily appreciated.
If you need screenshots, please let me know and I can post them.

Thank you.

Autodave
July 28th, 2017, 11:57 AM
Have you installed any drivers for the video card? If so, what one?

I am no Radeon expert (I like Nvidia), but there are some really good people here that know Radeon and could possibly help you.