PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 16.04 to 17.04 Upgrade Problem

paligap
July 23rd, 2017, 03:39 PM
I recently decided to upgrade from 16.04 (as I was having an issue with FileZilla). I used the GUI updater and expected to go to 16.10. However I actually got whisked forward to 17.04.

I use disk encryption. The problem I have is that now Ubuntu just hangs after password entry to decrypt the disk. I get "sda5_crypt set up successfully", and the moving dots splash screen - then nothing.

If I interrupt the boot process and select "4.10.0-28 recovery mode", then I can get the system to boot. But just selecting "4.10.0-28 generic" or "4.10.0-28 upstart" does not work. So what is it that recovery mode is doing that fixes the problem I wonder? My first guess was that it was a display driver issue. My VGA is Intel onboard:

$ lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)

After boot in recovery mode, I see:

$ /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 4.0, 256 bits)

In System Settings >> Software Updates >> Additional Drivers I only see "Processor microcode firmware for Intel CPUs from intel-microcode (proprietory)".

So my theory is that in recovery mode, OpenGL Gallium gets setup. But if I reboot (or if I log in/out, or if power saving kicks in), then my built-in Intel VGA kicks in - and that's causing the system to lock up. Somewhere I saw to try this:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-video-intel xserver-xorg-core
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

But that hasn't fixed the issue.

So maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, or need a different fix. What remains true is this: My Ubuntu 17.04 is fine when powered up in recovery mode (and there I select the "default" option). But going straight in, it hangs.

A couple of other things have caught my eye - but they may be red herrings:

"/proc/self/fd/9:28 /proc/self/fd/9: /etc/init.d/rcS not found"

"warning failed to connect to lvmetad "

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

1fallen
July 23rd, 2017, 04:35 PM
Any PPA's enabled while the upgrade took place?
Also kernel "4.10.0-28 generic" seems to be problematic for some.
And if this did not work.

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-intel

If the driver is installed, and you're still having issues with graphics on your desktop, then please file a bug report against the xorg package, using this terminal command:

apport-bug xorg
Sorry not more helpful here.

paligap
July 23rd, 2017, 05:06 PM
Thanks. Yes, I did disable my repositories before updating.

apt-get says "xserver-xorg-video-intel is already the newest version (2:2.99.917+git20170309-0ubuntu1)."

At the moment I'm wondering if the issue really is graphics. (It was just my guess).

Do you know how I can *force* the choice of "OpenGL Gallium" at normal startup instead of the Intel driver? i.e. Do as recovery-mode does? If that fixes the problem, I know where the issue is. If not, it would establish that it is something else that recovery mode tweaks that allows the machine to boot. I'd just need to find out what that is!

1fallen
July 23rd, 2017, 05:34 PM
Do you now have an "xorg.conf" file"
Maybe we can check that first.

cd /etc/X11
ls
Paste back here the output.

Bucky Ball
July 23rd, 2017, 05:55 PM
Just a word for the future. Upgrading because you are having issues with a program or some other aspect of your system is rarely, if ever, a solution. You will usually end up with a newer version of the OS with exactly the same issue, or worse. An upgrade to a newer version won't fix a broken system or program.

Good luck with getting things up and running again. ;)

paligap
July 23rd, 2017, 06:57 PM
/etc/x11 is:
app-defaults rgb.txt Xreset Xsession.d
cursors X Xreset.d Xsession.options
default-display-manager xinit Xresources xsm
fonts xkb Xsession Xwrapper.config

So no, no xorg.conf!

paligap
July 23rd, 2017, 07:00 PM
(to Bucky Ball): Sure, that makes perfect sense. But in this case I was quite certain FileZilla (which I need for SFTP) was broken in 16.04 (but OK for other forms of FTP).

1fallen
July 23rd, 2017, 07:14 PM
/etc/x11 is:
app-defaults rgb.txt Xreset Xsession.d
cursors X Xreset.d Xsession.options
default-display-manager xinit Xresources xsm
fonts xkb Xsession Xwrapper.config

So no, no xorg.conf!

Well crap...Just one more thing to check if you don't mind:

apt policy mesa-utils
For what it's worth, The graphics drivers are called mesa. Mesa does the graphics. Gallium is an interface for graphics + compute + display. They come with Ubuntu as default drivers.

paligap
July 23rd, 2017, 08:11 PM
Mind? Not at all! Thanks for the help...

$ apt policy mesa-utils
mesa-utils:
Installed: 8.3.0-4
Candidate: 8.3.0-4
Version table:
*** 8.3.0-4 500
500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu zesty/main amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

1fallen
July 23rd, 2017, 08:32 PM
Mind? Not at all! Thanks for the help...

$ apt policy mesa-utils
mesa-utils:
Installed: 8.3.0-4
Candidate: 8.3.0-4
Version table:
*** 8.3.0-4 500
500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu zesty/main amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Outside of trying to run fsck (https://www.maketecheasier.com/check-repair-filesystem-fsck-linux/) now, I'm all out of ideas here> BTW I have no problems with FileZilla on 16.04.2
Like Bucky Ball my advice is going back to 16.04 and if still having problems with FileZilla post a thread for that.
Very sorry I was not more help here.

paligap
July 23rd, 2017, 08:54 PM
No worries...

On Filezilla - are you using FSTP? FTP & FTPES are fine. I tested with my netbook on 16.04. That had an older version of Filezilla using the Muench repository that was working. Sure enough, if I used the later Filezilla (3.21 as I recall) via the Getdeb repo on that machine, then that reproduced the issue (Filezilla simply shutdown on connection). So, to test, I upgraded the netbook to 16.10 and, bingo, all was well (Filezilla 3.25 via Getdeb). And so it is too on my 17.04 (when I can persuade it to boot!). The problem I believe was caused by an update to libexpat1 (XMP parsing C library) recently on 16.04.

My options as I saw it were - step down to an older version of Filezilla via Muench, or upgrade Ubuntu. I chose the latter. But you see, for me, SFTP is more important than Ubuntu, and I'm quite keen on having (reasonably) up to date software!

Thanks gain for your help.

1fallen
July 23rd, 2017, 10:10 PM
Sorry I stepped away for a few.
And I misled you, This version is my work horse, using SFTP.

Name : filezilla
Version : 3.27.0.1-1
Description : Fast and reliable FTP, FTPS and SFTP client
Architecture : x86_64
URL : http://filezilla-project.org/
Licenses : GPL
Groups : None
Provides : None
Depends On : dbus xdg-utils wxgtk3 libidn hicolor-icon-theme sqlite
gnutls libfilezilla
Optional Deps : None
Required By : None
Optional For : None
Conflicts With : None
Replaces : None
Installed Size : 15.96 MiB
Packager : Florian Pritz <bluewind@xinu.at>
Build Date : Wed 19 Jul 2017 02:04:30 PM MDT
Install Date : Sun 23 Jul 2017 03:01:10 PM MDT
Install Reason : Explicitly installed
Install Script : No
Validated By : SHA-256 Sum

Bucky Ball
July 24th, 2017, 06:57 AM
BTW I have no problems with FileZilla on 16.04.2 ...

+1. Same here. May be better to go back to a stable, long-term support release and let us help you with your Filezilla problems. As mentioned, seems to be nothing wrong with it in 16.04.2 LTS (at least, haven't seen any other posts about it here).

But hey, whatever suits your purpose. Good luck. ;)

PS: Incidentally, 17.10 is not released yet (October 2017) and is still testing. If you do install it you should post for support in 'Ubuntu Development Version' section of the forum as it's in development. This is why suggesting going back to 16.04. 16.10 reaches EOL this week (from memory) at which point you'll have two choices: 16.04 LTS supported until 2021 or 17.04, supported until about January next year (again, from memory).

deadflowr
July 24th, 2017, 07:09 AM
This is why suggesting going back to 16.04. 16.10 reaches EOL this week
Last week
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-security-announce/2017-July/003932.html
Which is probably why it skipped to 17.04 on the upgrade,
see
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2366703
As a For the Record, not that it helps the OP, other then explains why it moved up beyond the expected release version.

paligap
July 24th, 2017, 09:00 AM
Last week
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-security-announce/2017-July/003932.html
Which is probably why it skipped to 17.04 on the upgrade,

Yes, I think I was probably upgrading on or around number-change day!

paligap
July 24th, 2017, 09:05 AM
Well today the darn thing rebooted normally. Interestingly I now have

$ /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Haswell Desktop
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.3

So it seems we fall back to gallium in recovery mode. I notice that Mesa 17.04 is out for Ubuntu 17.04:
http://tipsonubuntu.com/2017/04/26/install-latest-mesa-17-0-4-ubuntu-17-04

So perhaps I'll try with that to see if that helps.

Thanks y'all.

paligap
July 29th, 2017, 11:10 AM
OK, I believe this problem is now solved. It turns out it was not an issue with the display drivers at all. What seems to have fixed it was changing all lines in /etc/fstab to use UUIDs instead of name references. So. eg:

/dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-root / ext4 grpquota,usrquota,rw,errors=remount-ro 0 1
becomes:

UUID=49ec7388-f232-4c37-a966-00cf090276b8 / ext4 grpquota,usrquota,rw,errors=remount-ro 0 1

To get the UUID codes:

sudo blkid

I think the clue was in the boot log which showed things on the lines of "A start job is running for /dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-root" (and others). I then saw a comment in fstab that UUIDs are preferred, so I gave it a shot - and bingo, no problems since then.

Woohoo!