PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Clean Instal-Boot and Network Problems

aviator1
July 19th, 2017, 07:28 PM
Hello All;

About 10 days ago, I started having an issue where after getting to the desktop, I would have limited navigation until I logged off/on, and then all was well.

Some great folks here helped me troubleshoot in the General area of the forum. It looked like an intermittent fault in my SSD, but I subsequently disconnected it, and only used my storage HDD. Same problem.

I then did a clean install. The problem still persists, but I lost my network capability.

My network card is on my mother board (ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS and with a GigE RealtekŪ 8111F network adapter)

I have now installed a Star Tech network card and the system booted up and recognized it. I am online now with the computer that has the boot up issues.

One of the guys from the network thread suggested I post here.

Attached is a screen shot of a bootup screen.

Do I have things installed properly?

TheFu
July 21st, 2017, 02:12 PM
Did you disable the onboard network adapter inside the BIOS?
So the star tech didn't fix it?

Did you try a different cable?
Did you try a different switch/port on the router?
Do other devices on the network still work?

Whenever there is a network problem, start with the 'ping' tests as painfully outlined in the other thread. Without those trivial tests, we don't know where the issue lies and will spend DAYS trying to determine the issue.

aviator1
July 21st, 2017, 02:23 PM
Did you disable the onboard network adapter inside the BIOS?
So the star tech didn't fix it?

Did you try a different cable?
Did you try a different switch/port on the router?
Do other devices on the network still work?

Whenever there is a network problem, start with the 'ping' tests as painfully outlined in the other thread. Without those trivial tests, we don't know where the issue lies and will spend DAYS trying to determine the issue.

Yes, the Star Tech fixed the network issue.

I still have the issue of having to logoff and logon in order to get normal navigation.

I have a new nvidia 730 and the star tech installed. Both seem to be working well/

The storage HDD, which I was using exclusively for awhile has the same issue regarding the logon/logoff.

Both the SSD and the HDD have clean installs withing the past 48 hours.

TheFu
July 21st, 2017, 02:37 PM
"limited navigation"

Huh? You completely lost me there. They keyboard doesn't work?

aviator1
July 21st, 2017, 06:28 PM
"limited navigation"

Huh? You completely lost me there. They keyboard doesn't work?

No, by limited, I meant no navigation with the mouse within Thunderbird or Firefox. Thunderbird will download, but I cannot select an email using the mouse.

Same with Firefox. I have to select a toolbar item and them all mouse navigation is OK. Can only get mouse access to emails by logoff/logon procedure.

Last week when we were working on this, I could get the screen to lock up by opening multiple applications. At that point, I could only use keyboard commands to get to the reboot selection, and then all was good.

As of now, it appears to be a Mozilla related problem.

After installing the new GT 730, I also did a clean install. It was then that I lost network capabilities. I did another clean install on both my SSD and HDD

I still had no network, so I installed a Star Tech network card.

I can boot to my SSD and do the logon/logoff and all is normal.

I can boot to my HDD and do the logon/logoff and all is normal.

Sometimes, from a cold boot, everything works the first time.