PDA

View Full Version : Displaying the keyboard variant (e.g. Dvorak vs. Qwerty) in an LXDE tray icon

stevedperkins
July 19th, 2017, 01:25 PM
I am a longtime Xubuntu user, who recently started exploring Lubuntu. I absolutely love it (!), but there's only one one feature from XFCE that I still miss.

I use the Dvorak keyboard layout (when I'm not coding), and so I need to toggle back and forth between that and Qwerty. The LXDE keyboard layout switcher applet is just as easy as the XFCE one. However, both Qwerty and Dvorak fall under the same "U.S. - English" language family. So LXDE tray icon displays the same US flag (or "US" text) for both keyboard layout variants. You have to stop what you're doing and hover the mouse over the icon to see which variant is currently active.

The XFCE keyboard layout switcher puts a small dot on the flag icon, when you are toggling between variants within the same language family.

It looks like this is just flat-out unsupported in LXDE's layout switcher app. But I wanted to be sure that I wasn't missing something. If not, then are there any alternative layout switchers with tray icons that I might be able to make work with LXDE? Thanks!