PDA

View Full Version : Online Purchases. Do you buy online and if so, how?

mikodo
July 17th, 2017, 10:24 PM
Hi.

Call me Paranoid/Stupid or whatever you want. I have a real hard time buying online. The times I have in the past when I have had to, like paying professional fees that are only accepting online purchasing, I have always used Vanilla Cards.

Thing is, there are so many things online now, that are enticing in pricing and availability of options, that I want to do something. I have a credit card but truthfully, I am afraid to use it online. I want to, but ...

If you buy online, what do you use?

Looking for suggestions.

Thanks.

1fallen
July 17th, 2017, 10:34 PM
I would call you very smart! :D
There are very few sites I trust leaving a credit # with.
I also use the Vanilla Card method. (No worries this way)

lisati
July 17th, 2017, 10:55 PM
I generally use a debit card linked to a bank account that rarely has enough in it for thieves to do anything useful with.

The worst issue I recall having was one where I went to make a donation, and the online service the charity were using decided to put out a $1 authorisation request, which I hadn't budgeted for. The transaction was declined :( but the "fee" was "refunded" - the charity eventually ended up with slightly less than I was originally planning.

ardouronerous
July 17th, 2017, 10:56 PM
I don't shop online period. I'm very paranoid/skeptical of shopping online, call me old fashioned, but I like to hold, feel and test the item before purchase, and if the store doesn't allow me to test then I won't buy, and you can't do that in online shopping.

I don't even have a credit card, I refuse to have one.

exhile
July 17th, 2017, 11:24 PM
I buy @ Amazon, BestBuy and Apple's online store. I use my Master Card. I always check my statements if there are any unauthorized transactions. I've been buying stuff online since 2003 and have never had an issue.

vocx
July 18th, 2017, 01:23 AM
Hi.

Call me Paranoid/Stupid or whatever you want. I have a real hard time buying online. The times I have in the past when I have had to, like paying professional fees that are only accepting online purchasing, I have always used Vanilla Cards.

Thing is, there are so many things online now, that are enticing in pricing and availability of options, that I want to do something. I have a credit card but truthfully, I am afraid to use it online. I want to, but ...

Looking for suggestions.

Thanks.
I don't understand this question. First of all, why is it in the "Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat" part of the forum? Is this topic of buying things online related to "Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat"? Are we talking about buying Linux OSes?

Asking what you use to buy online is also a super vague question. What bank? What type of card? What online shop? What products? What exactly is your issue, identity theft, withdrawal of your savings?

Banks are happy to give you options to make it easy for you to buy, so just talk to your bank. Ask for a credit-limited card. Say, one where the credit limit is only USD 100. Yes, super small credit. Buy groceries. Ask for another one with $500 limit. Buy the occasional videogame, piece of clothing, keyboard, pillow, toaster oven, etc. from the Internet. Get another credit card with $2000 limit for use for airplane tickets and hotels. Just manage your budget wisely. Don't just get many credit cards if you will be charged a fee for each of them, though; instead ask for additional, no-fee cards, with dedicated limits. Don't be that guy that has all his money in a checking account, all $30 000 in savings, with a debit card without purchase limit. That's just bad financial planning. Why not have two banks, with two main accounts. Don't put all your eggs in a single basket, as they say.

Buying things online is mainly about trust. I would only trust reputable vendors, big stores, like Amazon. You want to buy from small shops, it's at your own risk. If you are wrongly charged, most banks will be happy to invalidate wrong charges, as long as you can point the charge was fraudulent, and outside your normal spending habit.

So your question is more about financial planning than anything. Just be smart with your money. Don't spend money you don't have. Save. Spend an amount for leisure, and stick to the budget. Some countries like Sweden, Denmark, Norway, and Finland use cards extensively. You can pay almost everything with Visa, Mastercard, and Eurocards. You can basically go cash free if you want. A similar country in terms of quality of living is Germany, and although they have card readers in most businesses, for some reason people still prefer paying cash. It's madness. Some people just prefer carrying cash and counting coins, instead of using digital money.

If ultimately you don't trust businesses to use your credit card information correctly, then you shouldn't be using the credit card, and online stores. It is about trust. The word "credit" comes from the Latin language: "credo, credere, credidi, creditum" is the verb for "trust, believe, confide".

sonicwind
July 18th, 2017, 02:53 AM
I use a disposable credit card service offered by my credit card company (Bank of America) called ShopSafe.

I go into my online account and set the spending limit on the temp card it will create. I also set the expiration date. Once you've used it online, it can only be used again by the same vendor and only if there's still any value left on the temp card. It puts me in control.

Best of all, it's a free service because it saves my bank from fraud. Ask your banking or credit card company if they offer such a solution. I've had people tell me theirs didn't, only to find out it did once they called and asked. If they don't, demand it. It's a great service that protects both parties. If you have Bank of America, you already have the service available.

mikodo
July 18th, 2017, 03:24 AM
Yes, I realised after I posted it was the wrong forum. Instead of putting in an addendum requesting a Mod to move it to the Cafe, I left it figuring, if any wanted it moved they would. Yes, it's a vague question. I expected most would understand my 'fear's' of buying online. I guess I should have thrown in the words, THEFT OF FUNDS. Oh, well. No, I don't fear I am going to suddenly go berserk and become financially stupid with my money.

There are some things I want to buy online. Like products I can no longer find in local stores but are available online. Others, that are certainly cheaper online, than buying local. Also, I want to buy a desktop computer from System76 and the 27'" IPS screen they offer. It is not a small purchase so, I may have to use my credit card that has a higher limit than that will cost.

So, I was wondering how others manage their online shopping. Not how I should care for my finances. I was asking what people do, to see what options they use, that might be more palatable for me that I hadn't thought of doing.

Thanks, everyone.

mikodo
July 18th, 2017, 03:30 AM
@ sonicwind. I hadn't heard of such a service. It sounds good. I'll have to start asking around in Canada, for a similar service.

Addendum. I want to buy from both Canadian and American retailers, (probably mostly American). It would be nice if I could find a financial institution that would let me set the time-limited amount for either currency. Guessing ahead of time on the exchange rates, (and charges) would be a headache though. I think I might have better success with an international credit card company providing solutions for me.

Thanks.

poorguy
July 18th, 2017, 03:32 AM
I don't understand this question. First of all, why is it in the "Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat" part of the forum? Is this topic of buying things online related to "Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat"? Are we talking about buying Linux OSes?
Perhaps the OP is considering buying a new copy of Linux from OSDisc.com and wondered how some of the other forum members made their purchases online from them.

Any how I use an account which only has the necessary amount of money in for my CC purchases and then do it through PP and have been fortunate to not have any problems so far.

I agree with the fact that there is risk involved but even in person the risk is still there as anyone you give your card to can retrieve enough of your info to make purchases on your account.

sonicwind
July 18th, 2017, 04:38 AM
@ sonicwind. I hadn't heard of such a service. It sounds good. I'll have to start asking around in Canada, for a similar service.

I should have mentioned that it can also be used for recurring payments. This is important because one of the most annoying things today is subscribing to something, and then finding out the service/company makes it hard to quit when you want to. With ShopSafe, I just go into my account and cut the funds off by cancelling that disposable recurring $$.

vocx
July 18th, 2017, 04:42 AM
Yes, I realised after I posted it was the wrong forum. Instead of putting in an addendum requesting a Mod to move it to the Cafe, I left it figuring, if any wanted it moved they would. Yes, it's a vague question. I expected most would understand my 'fear's' of buying online. I guess I should have thrown in the words, THEFT OF FUNDS. Oh, well. No, I don't fear I am going to suddenly go berserk and become financially stupid with my money.

There are some things I want to buy online. Like products I can no longer find in local stores but are available online. Others, that are certainly cheaper online, than buying local. Also, I want to buy a desktop computer from System76 and the 27'" IPS screen they offer. It is not a small purchase so, I may have to use my credit card that has a higher limit than that will cost.

So, I was wondering how others manage their online shopping. Not how I should care for my finances. I was asking what people do, to see what options they use, that might be more palatable for me that I hadn't thought of doing.

Thanks, everyone.
Sorry if it seems I was calling you stupid. It was not my intention. I'm not saying you are stupid, but the way you phrased the opening, and the fact that you have "fear's" make it seems like you are not familiar with credit card use, and banking, and that typically leads to bad money management and overspending. I think this is the reason many teenagers and young adults go into debt; they almost feel credit cards is "free" money.

For example, I find it odd you don't mention credit card limits, like the options the users here mentioned. As I said, banks want you to spend money, so they want to facilitate the process of you spending it. But if you have doubts, talk to them, and they will offer you services such as those limited credit cards, which would give you more peace of mind. I think you could even have a card that is closed to all electronic transactions, then call the bank explicitly before a major purchase, and say "hey, I'm doing a transaction for a significant amount of $2000, by this vendor, please authorize it". I guess this is extreme, but whatever makes you comfortable.

If you are buying from System76, don't they sell Linux? Open source people are usually the most honest. You could call them or message them, they may even accommodate a different payment plan, maybe direct transfer, instead of using a card? Maybe four smaller payments instead of a single payment? Would that be preferable? People who run businesses should facilitate you paying them, be that by card, bank transfer, or a pigeon carrying Spanish doubloons. That's one of the reason Bitcoin and similar systems are appearing, because it makes it so that a single transaction is confirmed by multiple parties, and thus a single party, say, a store, cannot arbitrarily charge you whatever they want.

Perhaps the OP is considering buying a new copy of Linux from OSDisc.com and wondered how some of the other forum members made their purchases online from them.

Any how I use an account which only has the necessary amount of money in for my CC purchases and then do it through PP and have been fortunate to not have any problems so far.

I agree with the fact that there is risk involved but even in person the risk is still there as anyone you give your card to can retrieve enough of your info to make purchases on your account.
He he. Are you advertising?

Yeah, even in person using a card there is risk. Technically, using a card is always an electronic transaction, even if you are right there in the store. Which is why I mentioned using cash. If you really cannot trust the electronic transfer of money, you should probably stick to cash and Spanish doubloons.

mikodo
July 18th, 2017, 05:57 AM
Sorry if it seems I was calling you stupid. It was not my intention. I'm not saying you are stupid, but the way you phrased the opening, and the fact that you have "fear's" make it seems like you are not familiar with credit card use, and banking, and that typically leads to bad money management and overspending. I think this is the reason many teenagers and young adults go into debt; they almost feel credit cards is "free" money.

For example, I find it odd you don't mention credit card limits, like the options the users here mentioned. As I said, banks want you to spend money, so they want to facilitate the process of you spending it. But if you have doubts, talk to them, and they will offer you services such as those limited credit cards, which would give you more peace of mind. I think you could even have a card that is closed to all electronic transactions, then call the bank explicitly before a major purchase, and say "hey, I'm doing a transaction for a significant amount of $2000, by this vendor, please authorize it". I guess this is extreme, but whatever makes you comfortable.

If you are buying from System76, don't they sell Linux? Open source people are usually the most honest. You could call them or message them, they may even accommodate a different payment plan, maybe direct transfer, instead of using a card? Maybe four smaller payments instead of a single payment? Would that be preferable? People who run businesses should facilitate you paying them, be that by card, bank transfer, or a pigeon carrying Spanish doubloons. That's one of the reason Bitcoin and similar systems are appearing, because it makes it so that a single transaction is confirmed by multiple parties, and thus a single party, say, a store, cannot arbitrarily charge you whatever they want.

Yeah, even in person using a card there is risk. Technically, using a card is always an electronic transaction, even if you are right there in the store. Which is why I mentioned using cash. If you really cannot trust the electronic transfer of money, you should probably stick to cash and Spanish doubloons.

No worries. I'm a senior citizen used to paying cash or using a bank debit card. Conversation and thoughts like yours are helping me to learn the way of online transactions.

Pigeons and Spanish doubloons? hehe

Addendum. Oh, I did talk to my bank, (actually a Credit Union) on limited amount of funds on a charge card and they told me that they didn't have such. Just a set set limit, which is static. Maybe I will walk across the street and see what the next institution's financial adviser has to offer me. Truthfully, I usually park in their parking lot, as they are a lot less busy and have parking spots available usually. Maybe they are smaller and 'trying harder' to win customers. A few quick phone calls to the other banks in town, shouldn't be a hard thing to do either.

Thanks.

mikodo
July 18th, 2017, 06:29 AM
I should have mentioned that it can also be used for recurring payments. This is important because one of the most annoying things today is subscribing to something, and then finding out the service/company makes it hard to quit when you want to. With ShopSafe, I just go into my account and cut the funds off by cancelling that disposable recurring $$.

Thanks. I'll be sure to inquire of what ever service I do use, if they have recurring payments and make sure I can cancel it.

mikodo
July 18th, 2017, 07:30 AM
Yep!

Lots of good advice. I can see the 'writing on the wall'.

- Purchasing online is, 'the way of the future'. In many ways it is here now.
- It will be a major convenience for me. Especially, as I get older and want to buy what I want, and not just what the close-by store sells.

I can feel those 'fears' beginning to dissipate already, and I haven't even done anything yet.

Thank you.

ardouronerous
July 18th, 2017, 07:38 AM
- Purchasing online is, 'the way of the future'. In many ways it is here now.

lol :) were all going to be like those fat and lazy people in WALL-E, sitting on our mobile easy chairs, ordering online and the robots will deliver our goods to us.

I'm already am fat and I'm going to be fatter in the future lol :)

mastablasta
July 18th, 2017, 12:45 PM
Hi.

I don't have an issue buying online. not anymore. a couple of reasons for that.

when buying localy i am protected by various and very efficient laws, plus i can choose payment on arrival (so i would pay to the delivery agent or postman).

aside from the safe payment method for local purchase, the laws are there to protect consumer. you can return any item for whatever reason within 14 days from purchase and the company must return the money. the item must be returned in original packaging (can be opened) and undamaged (it just has to be undamaged). if they fail to do that, you can complain to the commerce inspector. which means the company that sent the item will get a hefty fine plus they will need to give money back or they will face increasing fines and further investigation into criminal activities.

so far all companies have no issue with returns. i imagine most people do not return the item. i had to retun a GPU card last year as i couldnt' get it working on the PC. it worked on another one but that was not the point. they didn't make any fuss about it.

similar laws are in effect all over EU. so i also do not have an issue buying from other EU countries.

China is another matter. i only buy from aliexpress as i am quite pleased how they handle any claims, fake or faulty products. if the supplier is not cooperating they will take over and resolve it in a fair way. usually the cusotmer is right. the payment in such shops is usually with credit card.

one can do a few things to secure those. one level of security is provided by the card company. they will check & call for every larger transaction, they also offer SMS to mobile phone service for every card transaction + the card is insured (only in this case you need to prove the funds were actually stolen). additionally i would usually reduce my purchase limit, so if it get's stolen i can still live with it until the insurance returns the money.

now if that isn't enough and if you still feel a bit paranoid, one can use a prepaid credit card. not sure if this is the vanila card some mention here, but basically you would transfer money to this card form your account and only then do the pruchase. so you can transgfer say 100 EUR and you can use the card until you spend the 100 EUR. after that, you need to top it up again.

Paypal is kind of similar and relatively safe method as well. the only issue here is that i think you are loading form credit card account. perhaps someone could use that info if they hack it?!

also for local and EU purchases i would sometimes use a payment in advance method. this is when i do not really trust the site with my credit card info (say very small site or i spot security lapses). it is a classic payment with proforma invoice and then i would trasnfer money to their accoount in the pruchase value. again withing EU it is a non issue as i am protected with other laws regarding delivery time, quality of materials etc.

countries i shopped from online so far: UK, Netherlands, Italy, Poland, Croatia, Austria, Germany and of course my home country Slovenia.

BTW airplane tickets for long distance flights can have huge discounts if you purchase them online, so it is well worth it. e.g. last time i saved over 500 EUR when buying 4 airplane tickets online.

slickymaster
July 18th, 2017, 01:08 PM
Thread moved to The Cafe.

sonicwind
July 18th, 2017, 01:23 PM
mikodo - You may have more luck calling around to Canadian credit card companies for such a service. While it is Bank of America that offers ShopSafe here, I don't have a Bank of America bank account. I just have one of their credit cards. I hate the company in general, but ShopSafe is worth having their card for. Call the major Canadian credit card providers and inquire about whether they offer disposable credit card services for their online accounts.

Bucky Ball
July 18th, 2017, 01:31 PM
Yes, I purchase online. I use Paypal. If the site doesn't offer that option, I go elsewhere. Bit like giving your mafia boss granddad the money and they pay because if there are any problems, Paypal will harass the seller and get you a refund or replacement.

One word of advice with Paypal, though. If you're shopping in your own country, all good. If you're shopping overseas Paypal will NEVER give you the REAL exchange rate. Always a few cents short, but guess they gotta make their money somewhere.

Now days I just don't use a Visa card or any other card directly with any online seller. Paypal has my details and that is risk enough! At least that is not shared, at least not yet!

mikodo
July 19th, 2017, 12:48 AM
mikodo - You may have more luck calling around to Canadian credit card companies for such a service. + ALL YOU SAID.
Thank you, for this advice, with the thoughts of what I might best be able to achieve in Canada.

I use Paypal. + ALL YOU SAID.

Thank you, my 'bank', allows for multiple checking accounts, with all accounts free of charge. Possibly, I might use them also. Maybe an account that I only have a small amount of money in it associated with PayPal, and load it as needed, (big or small). But like all the ideas given here, I need to read about them and have any questions I have, answered by talk/text as needed first.

Possibly, the few cents 'less' in exchange that they charge you, goes towards the charges for converting currency. I know banks in Canada charge a small fee for such. I can't remember now, (it has been a while since I have bought other currencies), but maybe the amount charged for conversion, is tied to the amount of cash that is involved. If so, that does suck, because I would expect that the same 'work' for a large say, $10K dollar currency conversion in reality, should not take them any longer than a $10 one.

mastablasta
July 19th, 2017, 02:01 PM
One word of advice with Paypal, though. If you're shopping in your own country, all good. If you're shopping overseas Paypal will NEVER give you the REAL exchange rate. Always a few cents short, but guess they gotta make their money somewhere.

one could ask what is the REAL exchange rate? for example ECB (European central bank) will have one rate, but then every bank will have their own rate. similary US Federal bank will have one exchange rate of USD to EUR, but ECB will have another. so same with credit card, they exchange per their own declared rate. just like money changers and the "mafia" on the black market. :)

fun fact - i just had a refund. and the calculation was done from HRK to USD and then again from USD to EUR to get the final amount. end result was very much in my favour for about 16 EUR.

paulconnolly
July 21st, 2017, 08:56 PM
I tend to use paypal