PDA

View Full Version : Scripting installs

rednecknerd2
July 14th, 2017, 10:08 PM
I am trying to install and configure a package using a script. (specifically slapd). The problem I am running into is that slapd requires me to enter information during the installation process. The information is more complicated than just accepting so I cant just use

sudo apt -y install slapd

I have previously used the non interactive installer, and then just copied the config files to the new server, but this is a clunky situation and with slapd, there is a password involved in the configuration that has been causing problems.

What I would like is the ability to enter the info I need into the script, and have it insert the correct answer as the installation progresses.

Any ideas?

TheFu
July 15th, 2017, 01:58 AM
There is an option for non-interactive installation. This is part of APT.

Did you try export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive? Did that not work?

Then you can use whatever method you like to make the config files have whatever they need to have - ansible is how I do it. Ansible's APT module also has the setting for non-interactive package installation, but there is certainly a way to do that with apt-get. It worked the last time I used it - last server build was about 3 months ago.

Google found this: https://askubuntu.com/questions/556385/how-can-i-install-apt-packages-non-interactively