PDA

View Full Version : Can't login (graphically) as NIS user

samson-danziger
July 11th, 2017, 12:02 PM
I have seen many other threads about being unable to login as a NIS user, but none of them really describe the problem I am having. Hopefully this is the correct place to be posting this question.

I have already setup my desktop as a NIS client, and I have correctly setup autofs to mount my NIS user home directory, and from the terminal, I can login as that user. I can see that if I su into my NIS user account, I have all my files there. I.e the results of

su samsond
ls

and

ssh samsond@some-server
ls

are the same.

If I press Ctrl+Alt+F3 I can access a virtual terminal, and login as my NIS user. What I want to do is login as my user from the login screen, as in, rather that logging in as my local user, login as my NIS user, and have a graphical desktop session as that user. This was working last Friday, but when I tried it after a restart yesterday morning, I can choose the user from the login screen, but after I type in my password, the screen goes black, it flashes a bit, and then goes back to the login screen. I believe it checks the password and accepts it, but after that it fails to load the desktop, and just goes back to the login screen. If I type the wrong password it says the password is incorrect.

I am using Ubuntu Gnome 17.04 64bit. My kernel version is 4.10.0-26-generic. Display manager is gdm3.

howefield
July 11th, 2017, 12:05 PM
Duplicate thread closed.

vasa1
July 11th, 2017, 12:05 PM
See https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2365845