PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] UEFI windows logon - Legacy Ubuntu logon

mlempenau
July 10th, 2017, 11:10 AM
Just bought a new Dell Inspiron 5567 with windows 10 loaded. After a couple days of burnin I turned off secure boot, selected Legacy boot list and enabled legacy option ROMs. Then I installed Ubuntu 16.4.2 using a DVD. I made four partitions, one for root, one for home, one for swap and one for boot loader. Everything went ok and I exited the install program. Now when I set bios to Legacy I get Ubuntu with no grub and when I set bios to UEFI I get Windows 10. It's consistent, done it several times. Should I leave it like that and not take a chance on messing it up or should I try to get grub to work? Altho I have used Ubuntu for many years I'm still not a very astute user. Thanks for your help.

slickymaster
July 10th, 2017, 11:31 AM
Thread moved to Installation & Upgrades.

yancek
July 10th, 2017, 02:03 PM
Based on the information you posted, it is working exactly the way it was designed. If you want both windows/Ubuntu showing on the Grub boot menu, then you would have needed to install Ubuntu UEFI. The link below is to the official Ubuntu documentation on dual booting windows/Ubuntu UEFI. Read it and decide if you want to change.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI