PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Software Updater is slow and balky with 16.04 LTS?

cybrsaylr
July 8th, 2017, 04:14 PM
Have 16.04 set to Update daily from US server. 16.04 used to auto update easily and frequently as needed. However lately, last couple weeks, this is not the case. 16.04 does not auto update anymore. When manually checking for updates it goes very slowly and usually there are many updates needed. Sometimes involving 200, 300 or more megs of updates! This never happened in the past. What happened and how can I get 16.04 back to auto updating more frequently as it did in the past?

RobGoss
July 9th, 2017, 12:00 PM
Hello and welcome to the forums, I also run 16.04.2 and I'm receiving updates and always with out any issues, do you have your system set to receive updates as in the screen shot I've posted

cybrsaylr
July 9th, 2017, 04:58 PM
Yes. My system is set to receive updates just the same as in the screen shot you posted.

I just manually opened an am running the Software Updater a couple minutes ago and it is crawling along with the orange bar slowly moving back and forth, as it is checking for updates. It never ran this slow before!

It took bout 14 minutes to get to the point of reporting the software on this computer is up to date!

RobGoss
July 9th, 2017, 05:37 PM
Have you tried changing your download source it may not be the best choice for your area

cybrsaylr
July 9th, 2017, 10:31 PM
Doing that now RobGoss,
Was using the server from the USA forever.
Just did the test for the best download server in my area and selected the choice it recommends.
This showed a lot of activity updating the cache, which took awhile also.

Am now running Software Updater again and it appears to be doing its thing again but slow again as it is checking for updates.

When I ran Updater earlier it took 14 minutes then reported my PC was fully updated.
Will see what happens now.........Updater just reports this PC is up to date.

cybrsaylr
July 11th, 2017, 04:05 PM
Bump.....

Any one have any other ideas on this?

RobGoss
July 11th, 2017, 06:56 PM
I'm assuming those are the specs in your signature, if it's correct you shouldn't have slowness issues. Clearly something happened maybe with a update that may be causing it. You can also use gnome-system-monitor, to see what's using up your RAM if that may be the case

Are you using a WiFi connection or are you hard wired?

cybrsaylr
July 12th, 2017, 05:05 PM
Yes the signature specs are correct, it's the i7 desktop which is hard wired.

Just manually ran Software Updarter which said 117 megs were available for update.
Did that. It was slow and took 9½ minutes to complete. Used to go much faster in the past.

Watched the download progress and noted downloads of Opera browser, my fav browser, were very slow. The other updates were speedy as in the past, as was the installation of updates. Curious if downloads of Opera updates are the issue?

RobGoss
July 12th, 2017, 05:13 PM
I've never used Opera so I can't say if that's the issue, I will say if the other browser's are much faster then that tells me it might be something with Opera

I'm not sure if you have add-ons with it that could be the problem

cybrsaylr
July 12th, 2017, 05:55 PM
Been using Opera since it was Opera 3.5. Now it's up to Opera 46. Opera is rated not as current as other browsers but it still for the most part does what I need. Opera 46 has a few add-ons, is speedy and also offers free VPN which works pretty well.

Have used Firefox and Chrome but still go back to Opera as a fav.