PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Overlay scrollbars are turning me away from Ubuntu

James Wilde
July 6th, 2017, 09:32 PM
Unity was bad enough. Now I'm getting tired of trying to make overlay scrollbars work satisfactorily. I'm using 16.04.

I've tried a number of the suggestions to be found with a quick search. Things using dconf and gconf I'm prepared to use and maybe adding a config file here or there, but I'm not prepared to go editing program files.

I would like a simple option in - presumably - dconf that I can check or uncheck. Is there one?

Frogs Hair
July 7th, 2017, 01:07 AM
Have tried removing them ? logout or restart would be required to see changes.

sudo apt-get remove overlay-scrollbar

To reverse changes.

sudo apt-get install overlay-scrollbar

mc4man
July 7th, 2017, 11:48 AM
I may be misinterpreting this but I believe the current overlay scrollbars are now from gnome/gtk3 (built-in). Ubuntu dropped their version prior to 16.04. (So not a "Ubuntu" deal..
The overlay-scrollbar* packages are for gtk2 only.
If that's the case then the only way to change would be via a theme or don't use a gnome based *buntu

James Wilde
July 7th, 2017, 04:30 PM
Logout didn't fix it. Restart didn't fix it. Good try but no cigar. :D

James Wilde
July 7th, 2017, 04:34 PM
I may be misinterpreting this but I believe the current overlay scrollbars are now from gnome/gtk3 (built-in). Ubuntu dropped their version prior to 16.04. (So not a "Ubuntu" deal..
The overlay-scrollbar* packages are for gtk2 only.
If that's the case then the only way to change would be via a theme or don't use a gnome based *buntu

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Mc4man. Can you give me a little more detail on a) 'via a theme' and b) how not to use a gnome based buntu?

QIII
July 7th, 2017, 04:45 PM
Hello!

For official Ubuntu flavors without GNOME, look at:

Kubuntu (uses KDE)

Lubuntu (uses LXDE)

Ubuntu Budgie (uses Budgie)

Ubuntu MATE (uses MATE)

Xubuntu (uses Xfce)

So there are a number of choices.

Cheers!

monkeybrain20122
July 7th, 2017, 04:50 PM
Just use a different DE. There is no "overlay scrollbar" in current Ubuntu releases except 14.04, it is a gnome scrollbar.

again?
July 8th, 2017, 05:23 AM
Add GTK_OVERLAY_SCROLLING=0 to your /etc/environment file.

This terminal command will do it for you.

echo "GTK_OVERLAY_SCROLLING=0" | sudo tee -a /etc/environment
Log out.

Tested and works in Ubuntu 16.04 and UbuntuGnome 17.04.