PDA

View Full Version : Printer-Canon MX870 botched install

harrellsm
June 25th, 2017, 02:27 AM
I am afraid that I messed up installing an MX870 printer on my 16.04 LTS laptop. Instead of just going to System Settings/Printers I downloaded a driver from Canon Singapore then I used instructions on how to install them using the Terminal. No joy. A friend of mine with a similar laptop and 16.04 has an MX922 printer an-d showed me the right way to install. Way easier and it works.:/ So, I opened up System Settings/Printers on both machines and they are very different. The device URL on the working one is dnssd://Canon%20MX920%20series._ipp._tcp.local/?uuid=00000000-0000-1000-8000-D8492FDF40AB and on the bad one it starts with
cnijnet:/88-87-17-3D-.....I am sure that my failed driver install using the Terminal is why they are so different. Other than reinstalling 16.04 is there something I can do to get the MX870 working? I tried deleting the printer and reinstalling from System Settings/Printers and it finds the printer on the network but and all looks good until I try to print. The jobs wind up in the Que and won't print and except for the Device URL both printers Properties look very much alike. I hope this makes sense I know it's a long explanation. Thanks.