PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] unity workspace switching

Skaperen
June 23rd, 2017, 03:21 AM
i set up workspaces and i got a new button. left-clicking causes all the workspace to appear in a smaller form. then i can click on which workspace i want to work on. there is one problem i have run into with this which is that when i click on the workspace to work on, i sometimes am still moving the mouse and that ends up moving a window in that workspace. is there a way to prevent that? or, better yet, is there a way to set up a button for each workspace to jump directly from any workspace, to the workspace for that button?

i already know i can right-click on the workspace button and get a little menu of the workspaces, but this is awkward to use.

i currently have 108 workspaces. this is done by having 12 logged in user and a 3x3 workspace grid on each user.

my dream has for a long time to have such a desktop switch done by pressing Ctrl+Alt+some other key (or a few other combinations) to switch to a desktop unique for each key (combination). the scheme i dream of would present a login screen the first time going to each desktop (so different userids can be used) and support a scriptable API to do autologins and switches, and logouts. i'm not sure, yet, how i would implement such a thing, but VNC regularly comes to mind when i think about it.

mc4man
June 24th, 2017, 12:26 PM
i sometimes am still moving the mouse and that ends up moving a window in that workspace. is there a way to prevent that?
Stop holding down the l. mouse button, i.e. grabbing a window. As described you couldn't move a window to another window.

(- unless you've somehow set up 'hover' means grab.

is there a way to set up a button for each workspace to jump directly from any workspace,
Not in the expo plugin but certainly in the Viewport Switcher plugin.

Skaperen
June 26th, 2017, 03:55 AM
Stop holding down the l. mouse button, i.e. grabbing a window. As described you couldn't move a window to another window.

(- unless you've somehow set up 'hover' means grab.
so you mean i should use the right mouse button (the center button has no action)?

Not in the expo plugin but certainly in the Viewport Switcher plugin.
or a keyboard press, like Win+(keypad digit). since i have a 3x3 grid of workspaces the keypad would make sense.