PDA

View Full Version : Converting Xubuntu to Kubuntu

RobGoss
June 22nd, 2017, 03:41 PM
Hello everyone I'm sure this has been ask many times here but I have to ask again.

I have a old Dell latitude D610 that has given me such a hard time to install any flavor of Ubuntu on it, well I finally was able to install Xubuntu on it and it seems to run ok

Question? is there a easy way to convert Xubuntu to Kubuntu without have to do a clean installation

Thanks so much

CatKiller
June 22nd, 2017, 03:48 PM
It should just be a case of installing the kubuntu-desktop package and choosing which environment you log into on the log in screen. Be aware that KDE is significantly heavier than XFCE, so an older laptop may struggle. No harm in trying, though, you can always uninstall it again if you don't like it.

1fallen
June 22nd, 2017, 03:54 PM
Hello everyone I'm sure this has been ask many times here but I have to ask again.

I have a old Dell latitude D610 that has given me such a hard time to install any flavor of Ubuntu on it, well I finally was able to install Xubuntu on it and it seems to run ok, question? is there a easy way to convert Xubuntu to Kubuntu without have to do a clean installation

Thanks so much
Hello RobGoss :)
Read carefully the Choices below:
for a full blown system (about 2 Gb extra harddrive use) use:

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-full

for a smal laptop without plenty of resources use:

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-mobile

for a normal system use:

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

for a KDE only system without the kubuntu artwork:

sudo apt-get install kde-full
or

sudo apt-get install plasma-desktop
or

sudo apt-get install plasma-netbook

Nin'jed by CatKiller :)

vanadium
June 22nd, 2017, 04:13 PM
Take note of the packages that are being installed. Keep the list in a text file, so you can eventually remove all these packages later if you change your mind.

RobGoss
June 22nd, 2017, 04:16 PM
It should just be a case of installing the kubuntu-desktop package and choosing which environment you log into on the log in screen. Be aware that KDE is significantly heavier than XFCE, so an older laptop may struggle. No harm in trying, though, you can always uninstall it again if you don't like it.

Thanks so much for the tips will remember them

vasa1
June 22nd, 2017, 04:24 PM
That's the first time I've seen mention of "kubuntu-full". Very interesting! After reading a bit about it, I think kubuntu-desktop would be adequate. OP could always install kubuntu-full later and that, I'm assuming, would bring in the remaining packages.

RobGoss
June 22nd, 2017, 04:24 PM
1Fallen, thank you sir for the helpful commands, I know it's a matter of just changing to another desktop environment but I wanted something a little more them Xubuntu

This Dell has about 60-GB of storage and 2GB of Ram, it works well with Fedora but! as I might have mentioned I don't really care for it

I will try to apply these changes as soon as I get to my office. I tried Installing Kubuntu but it just hangs right after you setup the user and password not sure why

1fallen
June 22nd, 2017, 04:39 PM
That's the first time I've seen mention of "kubuntu-full". Very interesting! After reading a bit about it, I think kubuntu-desktop would be adequate. OP could always install kubuntu-full later and that, I'm assuming, would bring in the remaining packages.

Agreed should be plenty. And hence the (about 2 Gb extra harddrive use)
Just added more for a more complete list of choices.;)
I myself like complete options for choices.
@Robgoss vanadium has a great advise to "Take note of the packages that are being installed. Keep the list in a text file, so you can eventually remove all these packages later if you change your mind."
But showing only 2 gigs of ram and not knowing your video adapter, This might not be a good DE for your lappy.
I'll be interested in your outcome here.
Good Luck :)