PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 16.04 sorting of files and icons different than in earlier versions

crazybear
June 21st, 2017, 11:36 AM
I have just moved my files and programs from 12.04 to 16.04 [and it was not easy]. Most things are working now after weeks of tweaking. I use Gnome fallback metacity 99% of the time - so my questions apply in that enviroment. In both 12.04 and 14.04 a set of folders sorted by name in a window went from top to bottom of the left row and then further in the next row to the right..etc. In 16.04, sub-folders are displayed left to right in the top row and follow in the rows below. I had set up some large folders of subfolders I have used for years - I know where they are [read: were] and now I can't find anything. Also, before, special symbols such as '!' and '*' were sorted before A, now they are ignored for sorting. Is there a way to change these two strange changes? There are other annoying changes in how files/folders are displayed or can be, and perhaps there is a wiki on all possible changes? [I couldn't find any], but I can get used to the others, but not these two. Thanks in advance.