PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Disk space highly similar 32-bit & 64-bit versions

dwlamb
June 19th, 2017, 04:01 PM
I am installing Kubuntu 14.04 on a 64-bit machine. For the last few years, I have been using Kubuntu 14.04 32-bit on another PC. The two systems are 95% identical in software packages installed.

For the 64-bit installation, I started with a 1 Tb drive which I resized using Gparted after carrying out most of the software install.

For both, the home directory is physically on another hard drive. Doing a Clonezilla backup, I am surprised to see that the 64-version occupies around 102 Gb while the older 32-bit version occupies just 17 Gb. Does this make sense? Is there a point to redoing the software installations on the 64-bit? Or will a 64-bit version always take about 4 times the space of a 32-bit install?

Autodave
June 19th, 2017, 04:26 PM
My 64 bit Xubuntu takes about 5 gig. 102G sounds more like Windows than Ubuntu.

deadflowr
June 19th, 2017, 05:22 PM
Sounds more like you've got something eating up disk space on the 64-bit side.
A couple good ways to check here:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/36111/whats-a-command-line-way-to-find-large-files-directories-to-remove-and-free-up

dwlamb
June 19th, 2017, 05:37 PM
My 64 bit Xubuntu takes about 5 gig. 102G sounds more like Windows than Ubuntu.

That is what I was thinking.:P

dwlamb
June 19th, 2017, 05:52 PM
Sounds more like you've got something eating up disk space on the 64-bit side.
A couple good ways to check here:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/36111/whats-a-command-line-way-to-find-large-files-directories-to-remove-and-free-up

Thanks for the suggestions. I will run ncdu and share my findings.

Have a great day

dwlamb
June 20th, 2017, 05:53 PM
I had a duh moment.

I have been working on the transition to the 64-bit machine for about a week. Early in the process, I didn't have an external immediately available for backups so I directed Simple Backup to save them in a sub-directory of /var. I have since attached an external drive for those backups and copied the backups from /var/ to the external. But I failed to delete the backups under /var and forgot all about them. I ran Clonezilla over the weekend and 70 Gb of backups became part of the Clonezilla snapshot.

](*,) Dang memory

Autodave
June 21st, 2017, 11:41 AM
We have all had those moments. Especially when dealing with computers. :-) Please rememebr to mark the thread as "closed" using the Thread Tools at the top.