PDA

View Full Version : Wish you could have Flash 9 now?

forrestcupp
August 14th, 2006, 11:03 PM
Just make them think that you have it. Check out this post by Malac:

This will make most sites think you are running version 9 in Ubuntu even if you are not.
Don't forget to copy/backup the file before editing it.

Open the file ~/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat
change
Shockwave Flash 7.0 r63:$
to
Shockwave Flash 9.0 r63:$

My boy used to love the playhouse disney website until they changed to Flash 9. I tried this, and the disney site worked just like it always used to, games and all.

All credit goes to Malac, the ruler.

Rackerz
August 14th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Wow, will try this out. No doubt some site's wont be viewable.

%hMa@?b<C
August 14th, 2006, 11:28 PM
nice find. flash 7 still doesnt show flash 8 perfectly though, it is a big step up!

jISh
August 15th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Heh, nice trick!

GuitarHero
August 15th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Didnt do anything...

Rackerz
August 15th, 2006, 01:02 AM
Can you view Flash 9 sites?

GuitarHero
August 15th, 2006, 01:07 AM
No I cant, not even 8.

dabear
August 15th, 2006, 01:11 AM
Lol, this *won't* transform your flash player to version 9. This trick will only fool those sites falsly requiring flash 9 features, by bumping the version number in the pluginreg.

So if a site *really* uses features in flash 9 that doesn't work in v7, this trick won't help.

Rackerz
August 15th, 2006, 01:41 AM
I know, just it shouldn't stop flash working altogether.

GuitarHero
August 15th, 2006, 01:49 AM
Flash 8 never worked, flash 7 still does i think.

Mykewl
August 15th, 2006, 05:44 AM
How do I open the file? When I try
I get "Permission denied" ](*,)

erikpiper
August 15th, 2006, 05:47 AM
How do I open the file? When I try
I get "Permission denied" ](*,)

you have to open it as root. That will mean opening it in the terminal using "sudo" in front of the command like so:

"sudo gedit /filepathandname"

Gedit will open the file in- you guessed it- gedit.

Mykewl
August 15th, 2006, 05:53 AM
Thanks Eric :D

H.E. Pennypacker
August 15th, 2006, 07:24 AM
you have to open it as root. That will mean opening it in the terminal using "sudo" in front of the command like so:

"sudo gedit /filepathandname"

Gedit will open the file in- you guessed it- gedit.

Use gksudo, not sudo.

richbarna
August 15th, 2006, 07:36 AM
Use gksudo, not sudo.

Here's why :-
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/graphicalsudo.php

forrestcupp
August 15th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Yeah, this doesn't magically change Flash into version 9. It doesn't fix any of the bugs in version 7. All it does is make a website think that you have 9 so you won't be blocked. There are some sites that aren't using v.9 features but still require it. Playhouse Disney is an example. But I did notice that when my boy went to a newer area of the website that does use v.9 features, Firefox crashed. So this helps with some things, but not all.

Yossarian
August 15th, 2006, 02:35 PM
That's some trick. I'll have to try it.

Edit: Added gusto

B0rsuk
August 15th, 2006, 05:30 PM
No, I don't want flash. I used to.

It's time to move on. Flash is proprietary and closed. We should use something like svg (already partially supported by some apps like firefox and inkscape

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalable_Vector_Graphics

With flash, you're always on mercy of Adobe. If, for example BSD systems become more popular on desktops, don't expect flash support for years. And once there is a player, everyone already uses newer versions and you can't access many sites.

forrestcupp
August 15th, 2006, 07:08 PM

It's time to move on. Flash is proprietary and closed. We should use something like svg (already partially supported by some apps like firefox and inkscape

With flash, you're always on mercy of Adobe. If, for example BSD systems become more popular on desktops, don't expect flash support for years. And once there is a player, everyone already uses newer versions and you can't access many sites.

That's fine, if the website you want or need to access uses svg. Unfortunately, a lot of websites use Flash. I would never develop a site that uses flash, but I can't help what other people do. So if I need to access a site that refuses to use (or doesn't know about) something other than Flash, I'm automatically at the mercy of Adobe.

Hg80
August 15th, 2006, 07:14 PM
OMFG it works well done to you, i could almost kiss you lol

Brunellus
August 15th, 2006, 07:23 PM

All very well and good. But tell that to the people who need to use flash to *access* certain services.

There's also the GNASH project...but I'll wait on that for now.

Lord Illidan
August 15th, 2006, 07:25 PM
This tactic worked well, thanks..My sister wanted to view some trailers.. All the film sites are damn flash only.

Regarding this, as much as you might hate it, flash is the de facto standard on the web not svg. It's similar to me using mp3 instead of ogg. I recognise the benefits of ogg, but my mp3 player does not support them, and I haven't the money to change players right now.

forrestcupp
August 15th, 2006, 07:35 PM
OMFG it works well done to you, i could almost kiss you lol

Just remember, the credit goes to Malac.

My 3 year old boy thanks you, Malac.

deanlinkous
September 3rd, 2006, 07:42 AM
Strange that sounds just like my trick that I posted here....
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=210945

btw- make sure you close your browser and reopen
Also depending on where and how you installed firefox the pluginreg.dat file may be located somewhere else so you can look aroudn for it or search your system for it.