PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] No option for preboot/LVM to USB

someotherguy2
June 17th, 2017, 11:11 PM
Just wondering what happened to the option to install LVM and pre-boot authorization to USB sticks?? I've tried it with 16.04 and 17.04 and you're just not given the option. You're instead sent down a path to manually configure the stick and never given the LVM/pre-boot option regardless of what you do on that path. It used to be an option...

RobGoss
June 17th, 2017, 11:36 PM
I've been using Ubuntu for sometime and I never see that option do you know what version of Ubuntu that offered this LVM option? are you referring to Fedora maybe?

someotherguy2
June 18th, 2017, 12:45 AM
Xubuntu 11.10. I've still got the working stick. The installer set the stick up, without any intervention from me - other than selecting the stick as the install target, and it gave me the option for LVM/pre-boot.
Or more correctly, I guess, LVM/whole disk encryption, which then causes the pre-boot auth.

But now, in current versions, it seems, that's only available to the fixed disk, but not to stick.

RobGoss
June 18th, 2017, 11:02 AM
First if I were you I would download the latest version of Xubuntu https://xubuntu.org/ , try creating the bootable USB using Pendrive https://www.pendrivelinux.com/, if you prefer using other software to create the bootable USB stick that's fine to

Xubuntu 11.10. I've still got the working stick. The installer set the stick up, without any intervention from me - other than selecting the stick as the install target, and it gave me the option for LVM/pre-boot.

I'm a little confuse about your post, I don't understand what you mean by the installer setup your USB stick, did you not burn the Xubuntu ISO file to the USB stick? That would be the best way to create it

As far as disk encryption goes do you really feel this is something you need with your installation? most people feel the need to add it but in the process it only complicates the install process