PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Keyboard issue in Ubuntu 17.04, erratic typing

supernova22
June 11th, 2017, 04:53 AM
Keyboard of my HP spectre laptop was working fine in Ubuntu, but since the upgrade to 17.04 the keyboard is a nightmare, erratic typing, randomly jumping and deleting characters as you type, it's not usable. I've made a fresh install of ubuntu 17.04 and problem is the same, also in the live usb 17.04 session it's the same problem, in Unity or Gnome.

Help please, because I can't find provided assistance on similar problem in 17.04... many thanks in advance!

Autodave
June 11th, 2017, 11:21 AM
Some info on your machine and keyboard might help someone come up with a possible cure. Is the keyboard wired or wireless? Have you tried another keyboard? Did you try another USB port for the keyboard?

supernova22
June 14th, 2017, 09:39 PM
My machine is an HP spectre x360 laptop, the keyboard is the laptop's keyboard, it's not an external keyboard.. Is there any other information I can provide to help out with ideas?

Autodave
June 14th, 2017, 09:52 PM
My first thought would be to go back a couple of releases and install 16.04 which is a long-term release. I have not heard of that problem: it could be just a but in 17.04.

Also, and some will argue with you here, I personally have never had any luck upgrading an existing install. I always have problems ranging anywhere from a few programs needing re-installed to nothing at all working. I prefer to back up everything (which I do on a regular basis anyhow) and do a fresh install.

supernova22
June 15th, 2017, 06:49 AM
In 16.04 and 16.10 there was no problem, keyboard was working perfectly fine. I've made a fresh install of 17.04 and keyboard problem is the same, I don't think problem comes from the upgrade path. In a live 17.04 session, problem is the same, so I think it has to do with that release. I would prefer to use 17.04 rather than a 16.x release... :)

waggers2
July 23rd, 2017, 05:24 PM
Try sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-all
Reboot

It sounds like you already have this installed.

Try sudo apt-get --purge autoremove xserver-xorg-input-all && sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-all
Reboot

You can use the 'on screen keyboard' to help you get there.

supernova22
July 26th, 2017, 09:37 PM
Thanks very much waggers2, I just tried this and it seems to have fixed the problem, my laptop keyboard now works fine in 17.04!

QIII
July 26th, 2017, 09:40 PM
Hello!

If the issue is solved to your satisfaction, would you please use the Thread Tools button to mark the thread as Solved so that others with the same issue might more easily find the solution?

Thanks!