PDA

View Full Version : can you recommend a phone/camera to work with Linux?

ice60
August 14th, 2006, 08:30 PM
hi, can anyone help me find a phone with a camera that will work with Linux? i mainly need it for putting pictures on ebay. i don't want to spend too much money. thanks

i live in England btw.

Brunellus
August 14th, 2006, 09:12 PM
any camphone with bluetooth should do fine.

ice60
August 14th, 2006, 09:19 PM
any camphone with bluetooth should do fine.
oh, i didn't realise, i was thinking of filesystems and drivers. so really anything will work with a USB cable?

Brunellus
August 14th, 2006, 09:26 PM
oh, i didn't realise, i was thinking of filesystems and drivers. so really anything will work with a USB cable?
I use bluetooth to send pictures from my phone to my computer (I hae a little bluetooth USB adaptor for the purpose).

flaak_monkey
August 14th, 2006, 09:29 PM
http://www.linuxdevices.com/ has list of phones with Linux if you want that runs it.

ice60
August 14th, 2006, 09:33 PM
I use bluetooth to send pictures from my phone to my computer (I hae a little bluetooth USB adaptor for the purpose).
i really should read things abit more closely, sorry :(

so no matter what Linux will be able to read the camera filesystem because it uses vFat. and i just have to find a way to transfer the pictures. i should be able to get it working then. thanks for the help, Brunellus :)

Engnome
August 14th, 2006, 09:34 PM
All i know is that when i plugged in a Sony Ericsson w810i it was detected as two (onboard memory and memory stick) external usb memorysticks and I could just drag and drop files :) Anyone knows if this holds true with other models/brands?

Brunellus
August 14th, 2006, 09:37 PM
i really should read things abit more closely, sorry :(

so no matter what Linux will be able to read the camera filesystem because it uses vFat. and i just have to find a way to transfer the pictures. i should be able to get it working then. thanks for the help, Brunellus :)
no, that's not really what I meant at all. note that I said nothing about filesystems.

1) The only experience I have with moving data from phones to a linux box is over a bluetooth (RADIO) connection.

2) I have NEVER used a straight USB cable to transfer data from my phone to the computer--it's always been over bluetooth (again, radio)

so I know nothing about filesystems.

My usual 'workflow'

1)take photos

2) plug in my bluetooth USB dongle

3) turn on bluetooth on my phone

4) use bluetooth OBEX to send pictures from my phone to the computer, which end up in ~/

ice60
August 14th, 2006, 09:38 PM
thanks,flaak_monkey and Engnome :) i think i should be fine now.

however, if anyone can recommend something inexpensive, that would be great :)

the Sony Ericsson W810i is too expensive. i just want something for ebay photos really.

ice60
August 14th, 2006, 09:44 PM
no, that's not really what I meant at all. note that I said nothing about filesystems.

1) The only experience I have with moving data from phones to a linux box is over a bluetooth (RADIO) connection.

2) I have NEVER used a straight USB cable to transfer data from my phone to the computer--it's always been over bluetooth (again, radio)

so I know nothing about filesystems.

My usual 'workflow'

1)take photos

2) plug in my bluetooth USB dongle

3) turn on bluetooth on my phone

4) use bluetooth OBEX to send pictures from my phone to the computer, which end up in ~/

OK, i understand 100% this time, thanks :mrgreen:

those USB adapters aren't too expensive, so i can always get a blueptooth phone and get one of those if i can't just plug it in to transfer pictures. i'll have alook at flaak_monkey's link too.

i don't like shopping much, i like the end result though :D

Phantom784
August 14th, 2006, 09:50 PM
normal digital cameras (not phones), ususally just show up as a usb memory stick. this means most digital cameras should work.