PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Boost 1.64 on Ubuntu 16.04 won't install Boost above 1.58

tomer20014
June 7th, 2017, 09:45 AM
No matter what I do I can't uninstall boost and reinstall it higher than Boost 1.58. I'm aiming at version 1.64 and I am installing from a tar file I downloaded.

Firstly I uninstall everything like this

sudo apt-get --purge remove libboost-dev libboost-doc
sudo apt-get --purge remove libboost-dev
sudo apt-get --purge remove libboost-all-dev
sudo apt autoremove

Then I follow these steps

I download the file from here https://dl.bintray.com/boostorg/release/1.64.0/source/:boost_1_64_0.tar.bz2

...then i untar it with

tar xvjf boost_1_64_0.tar.bz2
cd boost_1_64_0

then I Get the required libraries, main ones are icu for boost::regex support:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install build-essential g++ python-dev autotools-dev libicu-dev build-essential libbz2-dev libboost-all-dev

^^^^^ I'm guessing that this line is what makes it install 1.58 instead of the 1.64 version

Then I do Boost's bootstrap setup:

./bootstrap.sh --prefix=/usr/local

Then I build it with

./b2

and eventually install it with

sudo ./b2 install

and then when I check the version with

dpkg -s libboost-dev | grep 'Version'

it is always 1.58...

steeldriver
June 7th, 2017, 12:53 PM
Yes it is the addition of libboost-all-dev to the installed dependencies that is pulling 1.58 back in

HOWEVER, unless you use something like checkinstall, dpkg will not be aware of software installed from source (it will show it as uninstalled, once you drop libboost-all-dev from the apt-get install command)

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CheckInstall

That's not necessarily a problem - since anything using the boost libraries will have other ways of locating them (pkg-config, cmake etc.)

Efwis
October 1st, 2017, 11:01 PM
sorry to revive this thread, but how would you use checkinstall with a ./b2 install process

arghavanmh
June 22nd, 2018, 01:05 PM
I have installed using the method you have mentioned here but i cannot find bootstrap.sh. Do you know the problem?