PDA

View Full Version : website

Relense
April 3rd, 2005, 01:10 PM
can anyone tell me the name of a programe to make websites.....to linux of course.

jeremy
April 3rd, 2005, 01:26 PM
I use bluefish, it is a great programme.

Relense
April 3rd, 2005, 01:30 PM
thanks im gone see if is god like you say O:)

kassetra
April 3rd, 2005, 06:57 PM
can anyone tell me the name of a programe to make websites.....to linux of course.

bluefish, nvu, screem, peacock, cssed

Peter Mount
April 4th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Hello

You could look at Eclipse at:

http://www.eclipse.org/

There are plenty of plugins for it including PHPEclipse at:

http://www.phpeclipse.de/tiki-view_articles.php

There is also Netbeans at:

http://www.netbeans.org/

This is if you want to use it for JSP

It really depends on what sort of web development you want to do. Eclipse and Netbeans are both free but they are sizeable downloads and you might not want an IDE for web development

Have fun

Peter Mount

TjaBBe
April 4th, 2005, 09:05 AM
For (web)scripting I personally prefer Vi(M) with syntax highlighing enabled above all else.

defkewl
April 4th, 2005, 09:31 AM
For (web)scripting I personally prefer Vi(M) with syntax highlighing enabled above all else.
I agree with you. I think if you already know HTML it's better to handcode rather thatn use WYSIWYG.

HungSquirrel
April 4th, 2005, 09:33 AM
I third that.

Relense
April 4th, 2005, 10:43 PM
THanks for your help :)

jdong
April 4th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Quanta (KDE) -- Tends to be my favorite. Very nice PHP syntax auto-complete support
Openoffice.org Writer/Web -- Nice WYSIWYG editor for plain HTML (static) websites. I personally use it to get a nice flow and layout before converting it to a dynamic language through more editing in Quanta.

Bluefish -- very popular in the GNOME world. I haven't used it much.
Nvu -- Mozilla/gecko-based. Heard lots of great stuff about it, but haven't really used it.

Vim -- Great for quickies, whether starting a script from scratch or some last-minute mods.

somuchfortheafter
April 4th, 2005, 11:25 PM
I use nvu and it seems to do everything I want it to....

poofyhairguy
April 4th, 2005, 11:46 PM
Frontpage in wine is the best!

Or not... really I live nvu. But (IMHO) most of web design comes down to image manipulation, and the real arguement is Gimp vs. Photoshop. (a comparison that can bring about one of the holy flame wars!)

primeirocrime
April 5th, 2005, 12:34 AM
Frontpage in wine is the best!

Or not... really I live nvu. But (IMHO) most of web design comes down to image manipulation, and the real arguement is Gimp vs. Photoshop. (a comparison that can bring about one of the holy flame wars!)

...almost had a fit here... frontpage??? I remember trying that thing once and that didn't make any sense back then. I don't know where it's at now, but...who cares when one had the good stuff like bluefish, cssed, nvu, quanta etc etc?

I'm pleased with the gimp and I did use Photoshop and it's a hell of an app, but it's also a ram sucker and very very expensive and gimp is just the best app for image editing I've ever put my hands on, ethically and in praxis. It has flaws. Not perfect at all. But it grows.
I don't agree with you about the image manipulation, the gimp vs photoshop is just a mild argument in the afternoon.

I think what we really need is some decent font handling! I'm tired of the same ol' same ol' verdana, helvetica, vera sans [although very well designed fonts]
An I'm not talking about flash or even heavy scripting. I'm talking about making the web more like print, with decent and salivating yummy fonts. Maybe this will be possible with svg, but I don't know what I'm talking about here, I just know I'm very sensitive about words, letters, fonts.