PDA

View Full Version : Does Ubuntu send it's DVD again?

copify
June 1st, 2017, 08:24 AM
Back in day's(I think 8 years ago) Ubuntu send a free DVD to every place in World, Does Ubuntu send this gifts again? I wanted to send one copy to my friend.

Regards

Bucky Ball
June 1st, 2017, 08:25 AM
Welcome. They stopped doing that quite some time ago now. You can still buy a USB, though (see later in post).

Why not download the ISO (https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop), burn it to a disk or USB and give that to your friend? No different from what you would get from Canonical. I recommend 16.04 LTS as LTS releases are long-term support and 16.04 LTS is supported until 2021.

On that link, down the page a bit and under the heading 'Easy ways to switch to Ubuntu', you will find a link to guides for creating a DVD or USB. Further down under the heading 'Get the version you need' you will find the option to buy a Ubuntu USB.

Creating a bootable disk or USB is very easy and if you need help with it, post a thread in a support area (this one's non-support) and we can help.

Ubuntu nowadays is not a lightweight beast. You would need to double check that your friend's computer has the hardware to run it satisfactorily. If not, you would be better going for the lighter Xubuntu or lightest of the official Ubuntu flavours Lubuntu.

Hope that helps and good luck. ;)

johndough2
June 1st, 2017, 08:30 AM
Hi

It was called "shipit" and I am probably mis-remembering that they were posted from the Isle of Man.
Sadly terminated some time ago as said above.

mörgæs
June 1st, 2017, 09:46 AM
If you want a DVD and not a USB stick there are many independent mail order services which sell them cheap, both Ubuntu and the other members of the Buntu family.

cosplayeyez
June 1st, 2017, 01:15 PM
Nope, anymore!

wxboss
June 4th, 2017, 02:35 AM
If you want a DVD and not a USB stick there are many independent mail order services which sell them cheap, both Ubuntu and the other members of the Buntu family.
Yes, and you can find some good deals on Amazon BTW. Some offers are cheaper than buying just an ordinary USB.

kurt18947
June 4th, 2017, 03:08 PM
I agree with creating a DVD/LiveUSB and give it to your friend. I would be a little concerned with buying a DVD or USB from a relatively anonymous 3rd party. It would be wise the check the MD5 or SHA* to make sure there was nothing added or changed. I would be a lot more comfortable with an .iso downloaded from a reputable source.

Bucky Ball
June 4th, 2017, 05:15 PM
I agree with creating a DVD/LiveUSB and give it to your friend. I would be a little concerned with buying a DVD or USB from a relatively anonymous 3rd party. It would be wise the check the MD5 or SHA* to make sure there was nothing added or changed. I would be a lot more comfortable with an .iso downloaded from a reputable source.

+1. Absolutely this. I'd be wary of buying a disk or USB from any third-party. E-bay? Pah. You have no idea what you're getting. The same goes for disks stuck to magazines. In my experience, they are a hybrid mash, not what it 'says on the tin', and not a clean Ubuntu or flavour.

ChuangTzu
June 13th, 2017, 01:29 AM
I just use an RW DVD and reburn with each new LTS release, I also do this with different flavors of Ubuntu and different distros.....my goodness did I create alot of CD/DVD coasters back in the day.

poorguy
June 13th, 2017, 02:41 AM
Linux DVD or USB for sale if you don't want to create your own.

https://www.osdisc.com/

kurt18947
June 15th, 2017, 01:09 AM
I just use an RW DVD and reburn with each new LTS release, I also do this with different flavors of Ubuntu and different distros.....my goodness did I create alot of CD/DVD coasters back in the day.

Isn't that the truth?!:smile: I have found that with older machines produced when booting from USB was a relatively new thing, DVDs are more reliable.