PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] How to change default font in Leafpad

Xubuntist
May 26th, 2017, 11:46 PM
I've recently had three PCs in the workshop, all old XP or Vista machines, to install Lubuntu and inject some new life into them. I've got a text file on my flash drive with a bunch if copy/paste commands because my command line memory is failing (it was never very good at its best). One thing that has always bugged me is that Leafpad opens with a variable-width font that doesn't suit my preferences and with three machines passing across my desk in recent times, I got sick of constantly going into Options > Font with it reverting to its default "Ubuntu 11" font every time I close it. I struggled to find out how to change it and when I did find out, I was happy as Larry and just wanted to share this simple tip because Google didn't:

Open Leafpad and decide which font to set as default - I like "DejaVu Sans Mono 11pt"
In a Terminal
sudo leafpad ~/.config/leafpad/leafpadrc

Change:
Ubuntu 11
0to
DejaVu Sans Mono 11

Save and exit.

PS. This is about Leafpad, not Vi or Gedit. Thanks.

egeezer
May 28th, 2017, 05:36 PM
Do you know of the Xubuntu Core ISOs? They give you a desktop-only, practically no apps, and let you configure a system to your own preferences. That means it can be as light as (maybe even lighter than) Lubuntu, but with the configurability of xfce4.

With your username, I would guess you already know this, but I thought I'd mention the option just in case you hadn't come across them.

Xubuntist
May 29th, 2017, 12:22 PM
Thanks for that info. I will definitely give it a shot.

The Lubuntu box I'm working on is somehow broken and rather than fix what I don't have enough energy or, clearly, knowledge to fix, I'll give the Xubuntu Core ISO a whilrl!

Many thanks

Xubuntist
May 29th, 2017, 07:11 PM
Well, I installed the x64 Core ISO and it's a smooth install and incredibly light. Thanks for the tip, it'll come in handy for other projects.