PDA

View Full Version : 16.04 lts server install issue

tjw5000
May 26th, 2017, 05:16 PM
Have an old ucs c250 m2 cisco server with 96gb ecc ram 2x xeon x5790 at 3.4ghz I loaded server on us with rufus and installed on 180gb ssd install went fine, only problem is the server has 6 ethernet and 4 10gb network cards couldn't find what correct network I had pluged in so skipped it. After install restart and no boot device found on same system installed win server with 0 issue any ideas? I will be installing gui but after 3 hours messing with it last night I'm about to drop this for centos or another distro

TheFu
May 26th, 2017, 09:59 PM
That's pretty exotic equipment. I'd look for specific how-to guides on that hardware to see if there is something special needed.

I'd probably run boot-repair to see if that helps. At a min, it will create a URL with data specific to your system so we can provide advice based on real facts. Run that, post the URL if you'd like help.

Oh - and 17.10 hasn't been released AND it isn't an LTS. For any server today, loading 16.04 is the recommendation. I'd load 16.04.1 to limit the kernel changes, unless my hardware was so very new at to require the HWE kernels. Otherwise, I'd avoid those too, since they get 9-12 months of support.

oldos2er
May 27th, 2017, 05:50 PM
16.10 is not an LTS release, did you mean 16.04?

Bucky Ball
May 27th, 2017, 06:11 PM
Welcome. What are you actually asking for support with, install or internet? Sounds like you got the server version installed ok, but when you booted into it you got issues with connecting to the internet?

Sorry, please add some clarity. :) It is in Installations and Upgrades but your problem seems to be about networking. :-k

I loaded server on us with rufus and installed on 180gb ssd install went fine, only problem is the server has 6 ethernet and 4 10gb network cards couldn't find what correct network I had pluged in so skipped it.

You clearly state that the install went fine, it is the internet you're having problems with. Maybe this thread should be moved to the appropriate forum.

deadflowr
May 27th, 2017, 06:24 PM
You clearly state that the install went fine, it is the internet you're having problems with.
this line

After install restart and no boot device found on same system installed win server with 0 issue any ideas?
which I gather to mean the install did not properly install.
TheFu's suggestion to run boot repair is apt at this point.

To the OP, here's a link to boot repair:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Setting up networking can be dealt with in a separate thread, imo.

Bucky Ball
May 27th, 2017, 07:00 PM
All good. All guesswork til OP confirms I spose. ;)

tjw5000
May 28th, 2017, 05:09 PM
Sorry about the delay, install went fine as in no errors after install you are required to reboot. After that black screen with blinking cursor. Some of the network cards are broadcast net extreme ii which apparently some linux distro don't havery drivers for. To my knowledge that should not effect the os or cli comming up. . Original install was bare metal on a new ssd I had.. and to be clear, during install no errors shows up in bis as ubuntu which is what I named it. No matter if I delete all other boot options or if I boot directly to it all comes up same issue. I should be able to configure networking once I get to cli it I cannot even get that far.

And yes I ment 16.04 sorry

TheFu
May 28th, 2017, 05:15 PM
And the URL that boot-repair made? It is full of data we need to help. Without actual data, we wasting time.
Also, nothing says you can't have both a video issue AND a boot issue.

I'll await the detailed information.

tjw5000
May 28th, 2017, 06:02 PM
I'll get that done when I get home

tjw5000
May 29th, 2017, 01:42 AM
https://paste.ubuntu.com/24697269/

the error log im getting

TheFu
May 29th, 2017, 01:20 PM
Did you fix the 2 errors in that log?

SecureBoot maybe enabled.

=================== Advice in case of suggested repair
Warning: continuing without internet would leave your system unbootable. Please connect internet.

I don't know why the internet would be needed, unless it needs to get some drivers that aren't on the installation media.

SecureBoot? The install isn't UEFI, so that shouldn't be enabled.