PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Upgrading / Reinstalling Lubuntu 17.04 via alternative installer.

natesnape
May 23rd, 2017, 02:30 AM
Hello.

My journey brought me here and you can check it here: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2361810

Anyway my question is that how will I use the Lubuntu Alternate installer to upgrade/reinstall my current version of Lubuntu.
Shall I make a live USB using UNetbootin and follow the same steps as installing the standard installer, or is there a prompt for the upgrade, or is it as whole different step all together?

howefield
May 23rd, 2017, 09:21 AM
You can't upgrade from one version of (x)Ubuntu to another using the live media.

It would be a fresh install and yes, once you have created the Live media you would follow the same steps as per the standard installer except for the fact it is considerably more "cumbersome" using the alternate installer, particularly the partitioning stage. Not at all difficult but possibly easier to get wrong. Do you have a specific reason for using the Alternate installer ?

natesnape
May 23rd, 2017, 01:53 PM
You can't upgrade from one version of (x)Ubuntu to another using the live media.

It would be a fresh install and yes, once you have created the Live media you would follow the same steps as per the standard installer except for the fact it is considerably more "cumbersome" using the alternate installer, particularly the partitioning stage. Not at all difficult but possibly easier to get wrong. Do you have a specific reason for using the Alternate installer ?

It's because my OS upgraded to 17.04, but never updated the repositories nor the kernel, hence the reason why I'm trying to use the Alternate installer, so I can test if it will install 17.04 with all the correct components, without me reinstalling my games, drivers, and PPA's.

Interesting, I saw on one of their release note's that you can use the alternative installer for offline upgrade.