PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] install of Ubuntu on a partitioned XP machine

xpeaceservant
May 22nd, 2017, 05:32 PM
The PC: Intel Dual Core 2 Quad, 2.66 Ghz, 2.96 GB of Ram. 465 GB hard drive.

I would like to install an Ubuntu package of some flavor on this PC. I have the hard drive partitioned and used Gparted Live to do it.

Screen shot of partition - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9oEd8rdEszcczNIZWU4TGloSG8/view?usp=sharing

I attempted to include that image in this post be the viewer wouldn't permit it to be viewed. It shows the XP in 97.81 GB of space and an unallocated space of 367.95 GB.

Question: Which of the Ubuntu types would work well on this machine? The last machine I inquired about was too old to update.

Thank you.

QIII
May 22nd, 2017, 05:46 PM
Hello!

You haven't told us the type of graphics, which might affect how well Ubuntu (with Unity) would work. But since Unity is going away, it might be best to stay away from that right now anyway.

I think you might be happier with the performance of a lighter flavor like Xubuntu or Lubuntu. But the other flavors should work fine.

Bucky Ball
May 22nd, 2017, 06:35 PM
I'd go for Xubuntu 16.04 LTS. Should run great on that machine, taking QIII's caveat about the graphics into account that is. :)

xpeaceservant
May 23rd, 2017, 12:43 AM
Ok, thanks for the answers. Yeah, the graphics aren't critical to me but I'll keep that in mind if I search out similar questions in the future. I didn't realize it was helpful to know what graphics it has.