PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: a Netbook sized computer that can run Ubuntu

Zoot_Nerper
May 22nd, 2017, 06:33 AM
Hi Everyone,

I am not sure if this is the place to post this request, if not please move it.

I want to buy a Netbook sized laptop that will run Ubuntu without too much hardware trouble or better none. I ride a bicycle everywhere so don't want a large screen. 11-13" would be my range, but the smaller the better. I'd like it to have at least 6 hours battery life. I will be running Firefox, Libre Office and a little known MMO called Eternal Lands which is not graphics intensive. I would probably have to dual boot with Windows due to my school requiring me to submit students results Windows spreadsheets (I can't use LibreOffice for this). However, I would only require a disk just bigger than this required dual boot space as I do not put much else on the disk. I'd like a new generation CPU with reasonable integrated graphics. Cheap is good. So, I guess that would mean an Intel Atom, or whatever AMD might offer and at the most would be an Intel i3.

I had an old Acer Aspire One with an AMD C70 CPU/GPU. It worked fine for all the above but has recently died. (And it survived 7 years bouncing around in my panniers too.)

When I see a suitably sized machine they seem to be Intel Atom SoCs running Windows 10 and when I check for compatibility they fail dismally (possibly due to the BIOS being locked to a Windows boot).

Has anyone got a recommendation?

Thanks in advance.

-- Zoot

mastablasta
May 22nd, 2017, 07:00 AM
old atom is now Celeron or PentiumN i think.

suggest you have a look at HP Pavilions or Lenovos in that range. Lenovo might come without OS (in some coutnries at least) and uusally one can load linux on it easilly. but not the ones with win 10 S or similar locked down versions.

not sure if chrome book is an option in this case.

problem is most netbooks died after tablets came out or were tranformed into touch / detachable devices. which made them more expencive.

another issue is that AMD doesn't really have any good low end CPU to continue to compete with intel at those ranges and with battery life.

i am not sure how good these celerons are. Atoms were quite bad graphics wise. but lower end AMDs were good.

kyle.allen805
May 22nd, 2017, 08:47 AM
Yeah, as mastablasta said, netbooks are mostly dead at this point. What you can do is get a small, cheap 13" computer from like best buy or something. Most computers should be able to run Ubuntu with no hitches, since it is considerably more lightweight than windows. As far as dualbooting goes, not sure how well that would work, but I don't think it'd be too hard depending on the hardware you get.

mastablasta
May 22nd, 2017, 10:40 AM
another option would be to get a used 13" business class laptop. there are companies that sell these with a 6 m or 1y warranty. if i was still studying now i would probably go with one of those. the can usualyl be mounted to a dock so you could have them portable for class and dock them when you get home to access larger screen etc.

at the time i studied notebook swere still rather expencive (at least for me). so i used a 10 year old desktop. at the time CPU differences were much larger than they are now. but it was good enough to surf the web at 14.4kbit, write things and do some analysis in SPSS. in short we didn't need laptops and google kind of just appeared so you couldn't just "google it". :)

sp40140
May 22nd, 2017, 01:10 PM
another option would be to get a used 13" business class laptop. there are companies that sell these with a 6 m or 1y warranty. if i was still studying now i would probably go with one of those. the can usualyl be mounted to a dock so you could have them portable for class and dock them when you get home to access larger screen etc.

at the time i studied notebook swere still rather expencive (at least for me). so i used a 10 year old desktop. at the time CPU differences were much larger than they are now. but it was good enough to surf the web at 14.4kbit, write things and do some analysis in SPSS. in short we didn't need laptops and google kind of just appeared so you couldn't just "google it". :)

This is what I was going to suggest. And that's what I have been doing.
All of my laptops are enterprise are pre-owned (used) Elitebook/thinkpads. You get them for cheap. They are much better designed than mainstream consumer class. All of them have three years of one day support warranty. And last very long. I never had one brake down.
You can look at Lenovo X220 or something similar. Craigslist is your friend.
Word of caution. Keep your eyes open when you go for used computers, specially laptops.

Mike_Dancy
May 23rd, 2017, 12:03 AM
I have a Lenovo x220
i5 2nd gen
320GB hdd
4GB ram (2 slots, 1x 4GB 1x free)
has a removable base with optical drive
12" screen
works well with Ubuntu (I'm using it currently to run Ubuntu Studio)
$100 USD and I can ship it to you. (If you're in north America)

gordintoronto
May 23rd, 2017, 12:50 AM
If you are in a large city, there are probably dealers selling "off lease" computers at wonderful prices. Things have changed in the last decade, and a five-year-old computer is almost as good as a brand-new one.

I popped a small SSD into an 8-year-old laptop, and it's a fabulous computer.

Zoot_Nerper
May 23rd, 2017, 11:42 AM
Thanks for all your replies/ I live in Thailand and I can now get Netbook sized laptops (they did disappear at for a few years). I think this has something to do with Windows 10, but can't remember the reason now. I can get 2 in 1 laptops, but these are a bit more expensive. I will look at HP and Lenovo. Good to know "Windows 10 S" is the one to avoid, didn't know that. I am in a small town in the back of beyond (and the town's name means this in Thai). However, I will see if there are any secondhand business laptops out there. There is a pretty good courier service here now and the Internet shops are well developed. Thanks for your ideas and help. Much appriciated :) -- Zoot

mastablasta
May 23rd, 2017, 02:09 PM
that part ff the world should have plenty of machines with no OS preloaded that actually work well with linux.

Zoot_Nerper
May 24th, 2017, 05:53 AM
that part ff the world should have plenty of machines with no OS preloaded that actually work well with linux.

There are indeed, but the ones I have seen are all 15 inch screens and so much too big and heavy.

I will continue looking :)

mastablasta
May 24th, 2017, 08:11 AM
try online or in bigger towns at computer markets.

Zoot_Nerper
June 2nd, 2017, 06:15 AM
Just to let you know, I finally bought a Lenovo Ideapad Miix 510 121KB. It has an i3-7 of some sort and Intel 550 graphics. Stretched my budget to the limit, but it looked good for getting Ubuntu working

I struggled a little to get Ubuntu on but did manage in the end mostly due to BIOS settings. Everything works (including the function keys) bar the cameras, which is fine by me.

I set it up to dual boot with Windows.

Plays my game fine too.

Thanks for your suggestions and help :)

-- Zoot

mörgæs
June 2nd, 2017, 07:20 AM
Good, please post a note in the compatibility list (https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1543006).

HermanAB
June 8th, 2017, 09:41 AM
My ancient Lenovo Ideapad S10 runs anything, even OpenBSD.
http://www.aeronetworks.ca/2017/02/openbsd-on-netbook.html

fr4m3s
June 24th, 2017, 02:11 AM
I would honestly recommend looking at refurbished laptops on Newegg (and sold by Newegg). I have found a few gems there among Dell Latitudes, Lenovos of various models, and even MSIs. Ranging from $280-$1000. I've not had any issues. I got my gf a Dell Latitude and it runs Ubuntu 17.04 no problems. i5 8gb ram 128gb ssd $280.00 when I bought it.

https://www.newegg.com/notebooks/RefurbishedStore/ID-64?name=Refurbished-Laptops-Notebooks (https://www.newegg.com/notebooks/RefurbishedStore/ID-64?name=Refurbished-Laptops-Notebooks)

I suggest putting filters. I would put a solid state drive as a must. Good luck.

monkeybrain20122
June 24th, 2017, 12:00 PM
I have a hand me down Toshiba z930 satelite ultra book which is light and powerful, super fast with Ubuntu 16.04 (boot in 2 secs!) the only disadvantage is that it comes with a peculiar temper proof torx screw in the middle so if you try to open it for trouble shootings or upgrade it could be a problem. I want to add some ram (comes with 6G) but I can't open the damn thing, went to 3 computer repair places and no one has the screw driver!