PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu 16.04 not booting anymore after new motherboard

bartvde2
May 19th, 2017, 10:35 AM
So today Dell replaced the motherboard in my XPS 13 Developer Edition, but after that it doesn't boot anymore. I get into the busybox prompt.
This is the info from boot repair disk: http://paste.ubuntu.com/24603831/

Anybody able to help? Dell is supposed to call me back but it can take several days.
Thanks in advance.

ajgreeny
May 19th, 2017, 12:43 PM
The only disk showing in the disk-repair output is the 125.8GB sda with a fat32 partition only, and no Ubuntu installation is detected.

I assume that is a large USB drive with a live system on it but correct me if that is not the case. If you are using a live system please also show us the output of
sudo parted -l

Was the old motherboard using BIOS and the new one UEFI?

Please use Code-Tags for terminal output. See my signature below for a How-to

bartvde2
May 19th, 2017, 01:01 PM
The only disk showing in the disk-repair output is the 125.8GB sda with a fat32 partition only, and no Ubuntu installation is detected.

I assume that is a large USB drive with a live system on it but correct me if that is not the case. If you are using a live system please also show us the output of
sudo parted -l

Was the old motherboard using BIOS and the new one UEFI?

Please use Code-Tags for terminal output. See my signature below for a How-to

Yes indeed that is the USB stick from which I am booting. The new motherboard is using UEFI indeed, not sure what the old one was using to be honest, but I think the same.
sudo parted -l output in the live session only shows the USB drive as well.

bartvde2
May 19th, 2017, 03:53 PM
I got it resolved, had to change the disk in the BIOS from RAID to AHCI