PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems upgrading from 14.04 to 16.04 on Dell Latitude E5570.

Owen Thomas
May 19th, 2017, 07:01 AM
Hello Ubuntu forums.

I have just decided to upgrade my LTS from 14.04 to 16.04 on a Dell Lattitude E5570 laptop. I have noticed two problems:

The Ubuntu Version displayed in the Information About This Computer dialogue is still saying 14.04 (the bottom-left of the start up splash screen says 16.04)
I have no sound (I have tested the hardware, and the speakers are working fine; the System Settings under Sound do not show any output and the output volume cannot be adjusted).

I suspect a driver needs to be installed for resolution to the second problem. Your advice about a solution would be well regarded.

Thanks,

Owen.

grahammechanical
May 19th, 2017, 08:03 PM
You could try updating the system.

Can you confirm that Sound Settings>Output tab does not show any device listed to play output through? Is the audio adapter turned off in the computer's UEFI/BIOS settings utility?

I have built in audio but I connect to the monitor using HDMI and I play sound out of the monitor's speakers. I find that an update will some time reset to the built in audio. But I can reset the output at Sound Settings/Output tab.

Regards

Owen Thomas
May 19th, 2017, 11:21 PM
Indeed, there is nothing in the "Play sound through" list box of the Sound Settings>Output tab. This tab displays installed drivers? As for the BIOS settings, I can test the speakers and they work fine.

I have seen something similar when I have updated to earlier versions of Ubuntu; sometimes after update, something simple like sound doesn't correctly set itself up. As you describe, this has corrected itself before too long in the past and possibly after I have run some updates.

I'll can see how this evolves I suppose.

Owen Thomas
May 24th, 2017, 04:45 AM
I still have no sound...

These forums are making things difficult for me too... I cannot upload a screen shot of my sound settings. If I could, one would observe an empty "Play sound through" list box. I assume this would have at least one entry.

I'm not happy.