PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 16.04 - Complete mess - Stuck at Touch pad.

mu:te
May 17th, 2017, 02:03 AM
I'm coming back to Linux after being tormented by the dark side for the past 10 years. I'm anything but impressed.

What I've faced so far these 4 hours I've had it running..

1. After the installation, I got error message that something stopped working every 20 minutes. I haven't had an error for about an hour now, crossing fingers.

2. Connecting Bluetooth headset meant I had to modify a configure file, and when it finally connected I had to change the audio profile. So much for simple and convenient.

3. From what I understand, to use window snap feature (like in Windows and macOS) I need to install Compiz and do some voodoo (last I used Compiz it was to make windows turn into fireworks when I closed them and super fluid when moving them).

4. The touchpad is virtually unusable. After 2 hours of search, I feel completely lost. Is it even possible to get the same touchpad experience on Linux as on Windows or macOS?

So far I'm becoming quite skeptical, maybe another distro comes preinstalled with better/different drivers, but I'm questioning if ditching Windows was a mistake or if I should simply get a MacBook.

I'm not giving up just yet; if I could play Wolrd of Warcraft with Wine on Lenovo T43 with custom graphics drivers, I should be able to resolve these issues, but if anyone around here has a fully functioning T460 touchpad, feel free to share your knowledge.