PDA

View Full Version : How to check how much memory is used

ubu112
May 16th, 2017, 03:58 PM
Please,I'm trying Xubuntu and Lubuntu from live USB.

With "free -m" or "free -lm",I'd like to understand which is the right number to check.

Is this "free" or "available"? and with "free -lm",what "High" and "Low" means?

Thank you

sp40140
May 16th, 2017, 04:06 PM
dell@DELL:~$ free -m
total used free shared buff/cache available
Mem: 7915 2011 4452 239 1451 5418
Swap: 2047 0 2047
dell@DELL:~$

This is output of "free -m".
And as you see it's easy to read. It tells you "total", "used" and "available". And it's in MB (mega Bytes).
What is your specific question.

Dennis N
May 16th, 2017, 04:40 PM
Instead of free and it's possibly confusing terminology, I suggest you install and run htop. It runs from the terminal command htop. The top pane of its window clearly shows the current ram memory (Mem) in use. No confusing terminology. See attached image. 1-4 in the display are CPU information.

If you are using live media, you will probably need to install it into the live session:

sudo apt install htop

ubu112
May 16th, 2017, 05:04 PM
First of all,thank you for your answer.

And as you see it's easy to read. It tells you "total", "used" and "available". And it's in MB (mega Bytes).

I'm sorry,but I read "total","used" and "free".

I'd like to know how much memory my system is using.

The right number, to know memory used, is "Total-free" or "Total-available".

Thank you

Impavidus
May 16th, 2017, 06:52 PM
free is the memory that's completely unused, available is the memory available for use for any application that wants it. The difference is memory used for chache or buffers, which is in use by the OS, but can be dropped whenever it's needed for something else.

Dennis N
May 16th, 2017, 07:12 PM
FYI,
The various memory measurements are constantly changing as applications are opened or closed, or system processes start and stop. free (in terminal) gives you a one-time read when it is opened - it needs to be re-executed to make readings current - while other tools like htop (in terminal) and system monitor (gui) give a dynamic (changing) picture of memory usage. Users choice.

vasa1
May 17th, 2017, 02:09 AM
And a classic read on the subject: Help! Linux ate my RAM! (http://www.linuxatemyram.com/)