PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu on the HP Stream 11

roly33
May 16th, 2017, 09:40 AM
Is there a version of Ubuntu that will run on the HP Stream 11. As the last version that I tried worked fine when running in Live Mode from USB Media, but once Installed there was no Wi-Fi working & using a USB Wi-Fi Dongle or USB Ethernet Adaptor seems a bit of a waste of a USB Port since there is only one USB 2 & 1 USB 3 Port available?

Roland

howefield
May 16th, 2017, 09:49 AM
If you still have Ubuntu installed there is not a lot to lose other than a little time to install the latest 17.04 over it and try it out.

Stating what the wireless card/chip is might be helpful for others who know about these things.

roly33
May 16th, 2017, 10:05 AM
If you still have Ubuntu installed there is not a lot to lose other than a little time to install the latest 17.04 over it and try it out.

Stating what the wireless card/chip is might be helpful for others who know about these things.

I ended up re-installing Windows 10 on it currently in the process of Downloading 16.04.2 LTS and 17.04 at the minute.

Windows 10 Device Manager reports thw Wireless Adaptor as: Broadcom BCM43142 802.11 B/G/N Wi-Fi M.2 Adaptor.

If all else fails I've at least got a Windows 10 USB Drive that I can restore to too allow me to research how to get Ubuntu running, as I've only got an iPad Mini other than my Stream 11.

Roland

Bucky Ball
May 16th, 2017, 01:06 PM
I have a HP Stream 11 with Xubuntu-core 16.04 LTS working faultlessly. Wireless fine and everything else. No, there is no special release for that machine. The regular one seems to work fine for others.

If you have Ubuntu installed on it, I'd suggest posting threads about the various issues you have with it in appropriate areas instead of hoping you are going to find a flavour where everything will work out of the box. All the flavours use the same kernel so you might be out of luck with that approach. :)

roly33
May 16th, 2017, 03:09 PM
I have a HP Stream 11 with Xubuntu-core 16.04 LTS working faultlessly. Wireless fine and everything else. No, there is no special release for that machine. The regular one seems to work fine for others.

If you have Ubuntu installed on it, I'd suggest posting threads about the various issues you have with it in appropriate areas instead of hoping you are going to find a flavour where everything will work out of the box. All the flavours use the same kernel so you might be out of luck with that approach. :)

I'll have to give Xubuntu-core 16.04 LTS a go, as both 16.04.2 LTS & 17.04 of Ubuntu work flawlessly other than Wi-Fi as I tried both of them in Live Mode & no Wi-Fi working only Bluetooth in 17.04.

Roland

roly33
May 16th, 2017, 04:44 PM

Tried Xubuntu Core, 17.04 as that was the only one I could find available for download & in Live Mode there is No Wi-Fi detected (so it looks like I'm stuck with Windows 10 only on the Stream 11).

Roland

Bucky Ball
May 16th, 2017, 06:58 PM
This is a live session? You may need to install to install the drivers. Late here but will get mine out tomorrow and see what I have going on. Are you online with a cable? You need to be to do much with core as nothing is installed. If you plug in an ethernet cable you may get a message that the wireless card has been detected and do you want to download the driver, but now I'm going down the internet road ... ;)

As I said, if every release you're trying is working fine apart from the wifi, suggest you post about the wifi in Network and Wireless rather than try to get the wireless to work in a live session in Installations and Upgrades. One of the wireless gurus there may be able to help you get your wireless working in no time flat.

tripodbeatz
April 15th, 2018, 01:09 PM
The issues i have come across are as follows,BLUETOOTH NOT CONNECTING(just hangs)WIFI (nothing at all) HDMI PORT (no signal is being sent to the tv) ,everything else works ,as regarding wifi if you are having problems (i have tried all of the suggestions) i re-purposed a old android phone and using it for usb tethering so im some what semi portable ,Bluetooth im not fussed about ,but the thing that is really grinding my gears is the HDMI , by the looks its meant to work out the box ,i cant get screen mirroring to work at all, just stays greyed out. ,Apart from all that ,this little netbook makes a real good media centre for on the go coupled with a portable ssd.
If there is anyone that can help at least with the HDMI issue it would be great,just thought id leave a post on the issues after installing ubuntu for this netbook .;)

coffeecat
April 15th, 2018, 01:40 PM
Old thread closed.

@tripodbeatz, if you need any help please start your own thread.