PDA

View Full Version : How to install Risk?

zorkerz
August 14th, 2006, 02:14 PM
I've been trying to run the risk version found here (http://jrisk.sourceforge.net/) and have run into various problems. The applets work great but I would like to be able to play offline. Has anyone been able to run this game? If so please tell me how you got it going.
elias

ricardisimo
February 3rd, 2007, 10:27 AM
I'm wondering if you'd managed to get the game up-and-running, and if so, I'll gladly pick your brain.

Waappu
February 3rd, 2007, 02:32 PM
Hi

This works for me

- I downloaded Risk (http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload/Risk-Download-4922.html)
- Then I install java 1.5 using Automatix2 (http://www.getautomatix.com/).
- Right click downloaded file and select Open with "Sun Java 5.0 runtime"

Perfect Storm
February 3rd, 2007, 05:48 PM
Perhaps I should write a howto to this game as well. I'll report back when it's done.

teddybairs
February 3rd, 2007, 05:58 PM
You may find similar problems with any java game you come across. I've never been able to run them right with the deb Java packages. What I had to do was go to Sun's website and download the JRE for Linux as a bin file and then run it. It will put a folder in your user folder. After that, I had to manually go in and change the script files to point to the Java folder sitting in my home file. For Risk.sh it looks something like this:

#!/bin/sh
cd /home/frallen/Risk
/home/frallen/jre1.5.0_07/bin/java -jar Risk.jar

Basically you just have to tell the sh file where the Risk data files are, and where the java binary is. After this, it should run without a problem.:)

ricardisimo
February 3rd, 2007, 08:17 PM
Hi

This works for me

- I downloaded Risk (http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload/Risk-Download-4922.html)

OK. So it's installed now, and supposedly the install added a Risk launcher to my menu, but I certainly can't find it. The faq says to double-click the risk.jar file in the game folder, but that just launches archive manager. How do you launch? Thanks again.

klytu
February 3rd, 2007, 08:59 PM
OK. So it's installed now, and supposedly the install added a Risk launcher to my menu, but I certainly can't find it. The faq says to double-click the risk.jar file in the game folder, but that just launches archive manager. How do you launch? Thanks again.

Try double-clicking the file Risk.sh in the game folder. If you then get a GUI dialog box that says "Do you want to run Risk.sh or display its contents?", select Run.

If you have Sun java installed, you can right-click the Risk.jar file and open it with java.

ricardisimo
February 3rd, 2007, 11:58 PM
Thanks! That worked great. I am, however, having another problem. This last time I launched, I got a popup announcing that "an error has occurred!!!", that I should copy and paste the displayed text and mail it to yura@yura.net (which I couldn't do since I couldn't interact with the text in the box). There is also a "button" at the bottom of this box that allows me to save the error log to file, which I did and I sent it along its merry way. The problem is that the popup won't close, even after I shut Risk down. I'm trying to find it in System Monitor so that I can shut it down from there, but it doesn't have any obvious name or much (if any) memory footprint. I'd appreciate any help in shutting this down.

P.S. - I'm sure I could just restart, but I'm twenty minutes into downloading the Feisty ISO... I'd prefer not interrupting it.

ricardisimo
February 4th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Never mind... it was java. I should have guessed that right away. :rolleyes:

zorkerz
February 4th, 2007, 12:45 AM
Slightly unrelated but i was wondering if anyone could find a picture of the europe map from Risk: The Game of World Domination. This was one of the earliest risk video games for windows published by Hasbro and developed by Blue Sky Entertainment. It had a great giant europe map including North Africa, Turkey, and some of the Middle East. There were hundreds of territories and i think 9 continents. Anyways it has great sentimental value for me, I've lost probably 3 cds of the game and don't want to spend a couple bucks to play it in windows. I would like to try and make the map playable in this java risk. If anyone can find an image of the map on the cd or online it would be much appreciated. Thankee
elias

ricardisimo
February 4th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Is this what you were looking for? I'd send it full-sized, but it's 2+MBs, and UbuntuForums won't have it. Give me an email and it's yours.

P.S. - You're going to need all of the other images on the disk as well, the map "overlays" and "underlays" or what-have-you, if you really want to try to make it work on the other Risk.

zorkerz
February 4th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Yes! Thats it. My email is zorkerz@gmail.com If I'm correct it looks like i will need that image and another all in gray scales. Unless someone could find one already done in gray scales I was going to try and make it in gimp from the main map. If anyone has other ideas I'm all ears, but ive been searching for a project for myself anyways. Thankyou ricardisimo!
elias

zorkerz
February 7th, 2007, 02:00 AM
So there is currently a resolution requirement of 677 X 425. However I am talking with Yura to see on the feesability of changing that. I am also playing around with the image shrunk to 677 X 425 however I think this might create a very cramped map. More as I know it.
elias

ricardisimo
October 7th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Hey there... did anything ever happen with those maps? This is one game I do miss for just passing the time, and this smaller version is nice, but I'd love to see that Europe map working again. Has anyone gotten the original Hasbro disk to work via wine? If so, I'd appreciate a tutorial on that and Civ II in wine.

zorkerz
October 7th, 2007, 09:05 AM
I never got a full reply form the guy who wrote jrisk he said that he would look into my request of changing the maximum resolution of a map higher.

I cant believe its too hard to set the maximum resolution of a map higher. I however do not know how to.

If anyone does or can find someone who can code for this. Its java right? (jrisk)

Im the first to admit i dont know what im doing but i wonder what it would take to got more people into coding for this program. I don't even know where to begin.

ricardismo glad to see your still interested
cheers

ricardisimo
October 10th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Oh, I'm still very much interested. Unfortunately, I know less than nothing about hacking, coding, you name it. I normally remember where the power button is... normally. I wish I could help out more with the project.

I'm still wondering, though, if you or anyone else has managed to get the Hasbro version to run via wine. There's something I'm not getting, because i can't seem to get any of my old Windows game discs to install properly. I'd love a tip or two.

Thanks.

zorkerz
October 10th, 2007, 09:44 PM
I no longer have the hasbro version of risk. Have owned at least 3 copies over the years and all have been lost or broken. If it worked I would also love to know.

Its very hard to find these days. I have never been able to succesfull burn a copy of it or make an iso or find it online or download a no cd crack (my computer now has no internal cd player).

Thats what brought me to jrisk in the first place, as a replacement to the original hasbro risk.

Thats where I stand.
cheers

tjtillman
February 8th, 2008, 02:03 AM
Hey I actually just installed the old Hasbro Risk today via wine and it worked!

Now, it was using the disc hasbro printed in 1997, as opposed to those in 1996. From what I understand, the ones in 1996 had a compatibility problem, not allowing you to install Risk on anything higher than Windows 95. In Windows XP, this is circumvented with Win95 compatibility mode, but I guess it would still work in wine if you have it set to Windows 95 mode.

Mine was a 1997 disc so it installed fine, and it played fine. The only tweaking I had to do was either change the symbolic link of "Z:" in .wine/dosdevices to point to the CD drive, OR (like what I did), to whatever folder you copy the Risk CD into.

Im not really a terribly advanced user and I was able to get it working so it shouldn't be too tough, but if you have any questions that I can help with, feel free.

zorkerz
February 8th, 2008, 02:23 AM
man thats awsome where did you get the disc? No chance its new form somewhere?

I have had trouble finding it again after my 2 or 3 copies broke.

I still dream of finding someone/learing myself how to modify jrisk so it can take bigger maps and bringing the europe map into it.

Im glad people are still into this great game.
cheers

markharding557
February 8th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Hi

This works for me

why are you installing java 1.5 from automatix when it is in the repository?see link http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=sun&searchon=names&subword=1&version=gutsy&release=all
this could cause problems

ricardisimo
February 9th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Now it's in the repositories. At the time I can't say that it was. Besides, for every one person that has had a serious issue with Automatix, there are 100 newbies on their hands and knees thanking the developers for their work.

I never understood the antagonism towards Automatix. It's a tool, just like any other.

ricardisimo
February 9th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Hey I actually just installed the old Hasbro Risk today via wine and it worked!

Now, it was using the disc hasbro printed in 1997, as opposed to those in 1996. From what I understand, the ones in 1996 had a compatibility problem, not allowing you to install Risk on anything higher than Windows 95. In Windows XP, this is circumvented with Win95 compatibility mode, but I guess it would still work in wine if you have it set to Windows 95 mode.

Mine was a 1997 disc so it installed fine, and it played fine. The only tweaking I had to do was either change the symbolic link of "Z:" in .wine/dosdevices to point to the CD drive, OR (like what I did), to whatever folder you copy the Risk CD into.

Im not really a terribly advanced user and I was able to get it working so it shouldn't be too tough, but if you have any questions that I can help with, feel free.

Are you on Feisty or Gutsy?

Waappu
February 10th, 2008, 03:00 PM
why are you installing java 1.5 from automatix when it is in the repository?see link http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=sun&searchon=names&subword=1&version=gutsy&release=all
this could cause problems

Hi

If I remember correct java wasn't in repo back then when first post is writen. Now it is I and I agree install java from there and not use Automatix2

markharding557
February 15th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Hi

If I remember correct java wasn't in repo back then when first post is writen. Now it is I and I agree install java from there and not use Automatix2

java 1.5 is in dapper drakes repos,this was released june 2006 before the first post in this thread

zorkerz
March 6th, 2008, 03:47 AM
Hey all, I just got an email from Yura the creator of jrisk. Version 1.0.9.5 of jrisk has just come out supporting full screen and bigger maps!

Don't know if this matters to others but this is exactly what i have been waiting for. Now hopefully I can import the hasbro europe map and play again.

good day

a link might be nice http://jrisk.sourceforge.net/ (http://http://jrisk.sourceforge.net/)

zorkerz
March 9th, 2008, 08:50 AM
what version of java are people using for this?

ricardisimo
March 12th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Has anyone tried this version (http://linux.softpedia.com/get/GAMES-ENTERTAINMENT/TBS/PHP-RiSK-35623.shtml)? If so, please send me a step-by-step, because I'm useless without a .deb file. Tarballs just make a sticky mess in my brain. Thanks in advance.

ricardisimo
March 18th, 2008, 10:59 PM
I'll take that as a "no"... and use this as a bump. ;-)

zorkerz
March 19th, 2008, 05:04 AM
I imagine you have gotten this far already...
I downloaded the packages and extracted it. Then there is a readme and also and install file in the install folder both of which give some directions.

The install file at least gives some system program requirements. I don't have everything so did not pursue it any farther.

It also has only been tested on firefox 1 so i don't think much work is being done on it.

good luck

ricardisimo
March 19th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Thanks! Any progress on the Hasbro maps?

zorkerz
March 19th, 2008, 11:32 PM
I just barely got the swing gui to open for the first time. This apparetly provides a better interface for making maps, but i have not looked at it at all. I have a paper due tomarrow and one next week, so hopefully all find some time in the near future to put it all together.

Im very excited to be able to play the europe map again. I will be sure to let everyone know how it progresses.

zorkerz
March 21st, 2008, 07:00 PM
So im currently adding in all the continents and countries in the map editor. Especially for the countries i am going to use numbers for now. Does the hasbro risk game label all the countries?

If so i would love to get all the names somehow.

I really need to just get a 4th copy of it.

Updates: oh and also really most importantly how many armies do you get for controlling each of the 16 continents at the beginning of your turn?

-sardina and corsica are one country belonging to the southern italy continent?
-are denmark and southern sweden one or two countries
-cyprus is part of turkey rather than egypt?
-which country in turkey does the island of crete connect two?

zorkerz
March 22nd, 2008, 07:57 PM
So I have the europe risk map all made out except for the image map that tells jrisk where each country is.

The swing gui does not have a good way to fill in the areas for each country so i have been trying to use gimp (which i am very inexperienced in).

Im trying to take the color code map from hasbro and convert it to greyscale (same value for red, green, and blue). Each territory needs to have a different greyscale number (1-255 jrisk can't use 0).

I don't think i understand how to make an image map for jrisk though because i keep getting an error message on small test maps *image map uses colors that do not match any country

does anyone know how this works?

Other questions to solve still:
-# of armies each continent is worth
-where in turkey does crete connect to
-is cyprus part of the continent of turkey or egypt
-country and continent names

starksandclarks
November 15th, 2008, 08:22 AM
I'm gonna try to raise this topic from the dead and ask whether anyone here knows of public servers for this or people who congregate to play online.

The computer AI makes some dumb choices even when set to hard. I've never played before and started on a whim when I stumbled upon this game. Now though it makes me feel like I'm getting good at beating the AI instead of beating good players. Not faulting the developers, just saying there's a big difference between the two and I wonder if anyone actively sets up games on this.

zorkerz
November 15th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I don't know. It would be nice to be able to play against real people thats for sure. I have just always ended up playing hot seat games with friends on a single computer. Have you checked the games website? I seam to remember something along those lines there.

starksandclarks
November 15th, 2008, 07:09 PM
I don't know. It would be nice to be able to play against real people thats for sure. I have just always ended up playing hot seat games with friends on a single computer. Have you checked the games website? I seam to remember something along those lines there.

Yeah the website is peculiar because it has very little info other than the download link. Even the game manual is pretty sparse on details.

Seems a shame for the multiplayer component to be programmed in but be under-utilized so much. It shouldn't be that hard to have a web page that says "Here are servers with people looking to play right now."

Hm....

zorkerz
November 15th, 2008, 08:37 PM
To be fair to the developer. Ive talked to him a few times about the map I worked on. He made the game in his spare time and to my knowledge has no help at all. I think he has made a great game overall.

starksandclarks
November 16th, 2008, 05:22 AM
Well, it wasn't my intention to fault the developer, though it may have come across that way. I think the game is great.

Having worked with Java a little bit I'm interested to see how he coded the logic behind it and I may poke around the code a bit.

On the other hand, having worked with Java before, I may not. Haha.

potterbond007
December 19th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Thanks! That worked great. I am, however, having another problem. This last time I launched, I got a popup announcing that "an error has occurred!!!", that I should copy and paste the displayed text and mail it to yura@yura.net (which I couldn't do since I couldn't interact with the text in the box). There is also a "button" at the bottom of this box that allows me to save the error log to file, which I did and I sent it along its merry way. The problem is that the popup won't close, even after I shut Risk down. I'm trying to find it in System Monitor so that I can shut it down from there, but it doesn't have any obvious name or much (if any) memory footprint. I'd appreciate any help in shutting this down.

P.S. - I'm sure I could just restart, but I'm twenty minutes into downloading the Feisty ISO... I'd prefer not interrupting it.

Ok.. I am stuck in this part of the installation. I closed off the error log.. But I dont know where to progress from here. The error keeps coming and trying to load a map from the default maps available in the map folder does not seem to be working. I have Java 6.0 runtime installed which is what i use to run the risk.jar file.

ricardisimo
October 13th, 2010, 08:44 AM
So I have the europe risk map all made out except for the image map that tells jrisk where each country is.

The swing gui does not have a good way to fill in the areas for each country so i have been trying to use gimp (which i am very inexperienced in).

Im trying to take the color code map from hasbro and convert it to greyscale (same value for red, green, and blue). Each territory needs to have a different greyscale number (1-255 jrisk can't use 0).

I don't think i understand how to make an image map for jrisk though because i keep getting an error message on small test maps *image map uses colors that do not match any country

does anyone know how this works?

Other questions to solve still:
-# of armies each continent is worth
-where in turkey does crete connect to
-is cyprus part of the continent of turkey or egypt
-country and continent names

Did you ever get a reply to this? I'm having an odd issue with my Risk CD. New computer, and suddenly there is no way to make the exe files on the installer disc executable for Wine. Been too long... how the hell did I do this before?

zorkerz
October 13th, 2010, 07:44 PM
I don't know that I ever got a direct response. I was able to eventually import the europe map into jrisk (now called dominion). Its not perfect last I checked there are a few bugs. I have not used it though because you need to manually place all your armies one at a time alternating players at the beginning of the game and that just takes too long.

ricardisimo
October 21st, 2010, 07:15 AM
Interesting... I didn't put it together until just recently. The Hasbro disc works just fine under wine, but only if one uses the open source "nv" graphics driver, and not the proprietary "nvidia" driver. Any idea as to why that might be?

For the longest time I could figure out why I could use it on some of my machines but not others.

francois.e
December 25th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Trying to install Domination. Automatix is no longer available. Java is needed to run Domination.

1) installed java :
root@MSIX340:/home/fl# apt-get install openjdk-6-jdk
2) downloaded risk installer or Domination_install_1.1.0.1.jar from:
http://risk.sourceforge.net/download.shtml
3) right click on Domination_install_1.1.0.1.jar after making the file executable, and open with JavaJDK java 6 runtime.
4) then follow the instructions to get the game installed, you will find Domination under Games

ricardisimo
December 27th, 2010, 11:14 AM
By the way, someone (zorkerz?) got a version of the Big Europe map up and running on Domination. Nice work! Still some tweaks needed - countries connected which shouldn't be, and others with long borders that miraculously don't touch, etc. - but it looks quite good.

I'm not understanding how to work the map editor, so if someone can give me some tips and tricks, I'd be glad to help. Secondly, the AI on Domination is OK, but there is at least one major flaw. Whether the computer player is working with 3 armies or 100, they all occupy their conquered countries. They never move just three in, which leads to some really bizarre placements, and wasted armies that never wind up back in play.

ekjsim
January 3rd, 2011, 08:55 AM
Trying to install Domination. Automatix is no longer available. Java is needed to run Domination.

1) installed java :
root@MSIX340:/home/fl# apt-get install openjdk-6-jdk
2) downloaded risk installer or Domination_install_1.1.0.1.jar from:
http://risk.sourceforge.net/download.shtml
3) right click on Domination_install_1.1.0.1.jar after making the file executable, and open with JavaJDK java 6 runtime.
4) then follow the instructions to get the game installed, you will find Domination under Games

still works :)