PDA

View Full Version : Intel ME has serious security issue. Linux is vulnerable. Update BIOS/Firmware

MechaMechanism
May 15th, 2017, 12:48 AM
https://security-center.intel.com/advisory.aspx?intelid=INTEL-SA-00075&languageid=en-fr

http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/491375

Any OS is affected. This is why it's a good idea to have a copy of Windows around to flash the BIOS as some PC's/laptops are hard to flash without Windows if not impossible. I'm very concerned about my System76 Wild Dog Pro.

I'll file a report with System76 and see what they say about their motherboards.

I've already updated the BIOS/Firmware in my Dell XPS 15 9560 using Windows 10, which by the way is an excellent OS. For now I'm just using Kubuntu on a thumb drive which is lucky as I would have had no way to update the BIOS that I know of, although someone around here might know. The Dell XPS update is version 1.3.3.

ian-weisser
May 15th, 2017, 01:14 AM
Since intel has provided full documentation instructing users how to identify if their hardware is vulnerable, why bother asking S76 to do it for you?

MechaMechanism
May 15th, 2017, 01:27 AM
Since Intel has provided full documentation instructing users how to identify if their hardware is vulnerable, why bother asking S76 to do it for you?

Could you post a howto. The Intel link is not very clear. I thought about lshw, but since me is not used in Linux is my understanding the lshw tool does not report versioning info. Otherwise I have no way of knowing what me version I'm using, so I thought I'd ask System76 as they would be the ultimate authority and would be the ones to provide an BIOS file compatible with Ubuntu.

mastablasta
May 15th, 2017, 07:57 AM
Any OS is affected. This is why it's a good idea to have a copy of Windows around to flash the BIOS as some PC's/laptops are hard to flash without Windows if not impossible. I'm very concerned about my System76 Wild Dog Pro.

occasionally you can get away with using FreeDOS.

lammert-nijhof
May 17th, 2017, 03:50 PM
I did use freedos in one occasion for my 9 years old Dell Inspiron 1521. My HP dc8580, same age, had an update function in the bios itself.