PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu Gnome chromium extension

rdb3
May 12th, 2017, 07:17 PM
Running Ubuntu 17.04 w Gnome.

In my installed chromium-browser, the extension GNOME Shell Integration is permanently enabled. I can not disable it. Is that normal?
Is there a way to disable it?

howefield
May 12th, 2017, 07:35 PM
Try ...

sudo apt purge chrome-gnome-shell

Watch for anything else that it wants to remove.

rdb3
May 12th, 2017, 07:50 PM
I did that, then restarted the pc and gone.

Thank you.

I thought I tried that before when I was searching the web for solutions, but........ ;)

howefield
May 12th, 2017, 08:10 PM
Cool, glad you got it and thanks for marking the thread as solved.

jbicha
May 13th, 2017, 05:28 AM
That extension allows you to install, enable or disable GNOME Shell extensions in your web browser which is probably a good thing!

howefield
May 13th, 2017, 09:12 AM
That extension allows you to install, enable or disable GNOME Shell extensions in your web browser which is probably a good thing!

Yep, in addition to that the extension also checks for updates as far as I can see, I kept chrome-gnome-shell in place but set the time interval between checking for updates to a more reasonable (for me) weekly instance.

rdb3
May 13th, 2017, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the replies. Here's my current situation:

On chromium, I removed 'Gnome Shell Integration' extension yesterday.

I had another extension, which is still running and has not been impacted.

I just installed another extension to see if it would install, and it did..... no problem.

It installed fine without 'Gnome Shell Integration.'

I am confused at this point. Why do I need GSI?

p.s. I just went to the Chrome Web Store to read the reviews on this extension. It seems like if I have x extensions on my chromium browser, it will make them available to any other browser on my computer.... if extension is set up correctly.

I don't see where it is needed to install or remove an extension though..... which I was able to do without it.

howefield
May 13th, 2017, 02:31 PM
I am confused at this point. Why do I need GSI?.

Just in case there is confusion, chrome-gnome-shell doesn't impact on your web browser extensions.. only the gnome-shell extensions that you install in order to make the desktop environment more to your taste, eg Dash to Dock.

rdb3
May 13th, 2017, 04:22 PM
That explains it........ thanks again!

howefield
May 13th, 2017, 04:24 PM
Cool, you're very welcome.