PDA

View Full Version : Help needed for charity project

dodgi
August 14th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Hi, not sure if this is the right forum but...I work at a college in the UK and we periodically upgrade our PC's. The old PC's (usually no more than four years old) are taken away and scrapped.

Myself and a colleague are considering refurbishing these with Ubuntu as the operating system so that they can be re-used in schools or colleges in less privelidged parts of the world.

The problem is we have absolutely no experience of doing this. The technical side we are fine with but exactly how to go about setting up redistribution etc, well that seems a big task.

Does anyone here have experience of this kind of project or know of anyone else already doing this and if so could you perhaps give us some pointers.

Thanks in advance

Dodgi

simonn
August 14th, 2006, 01:51 PM
I just googled on:

charity computer UK

And quite a lot came up.

You are probably better donating to an existing charity as they will have set up the transport and distribution networks already.

dodgi
August 15th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Hi Simon,

Yeah the trouble with a lot of those links is that they are actually commercial enterprises kind of disguised as peudo-charities. Those websites that are truly charitable seem largely out of date.

But, having said that we may well end up going down that route.

Thanks