PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Xubuntu 16.04 LTS - Software Center

ubu112
May 11th, 2017, 01:26 AM
Please,I'm new with Xubuntu and I used Ubuntu before.

I'd like to know if,in Xubuntu, there is a Software Center,to find something new with descriptions.

Thank you

Autodave
May 11th, 2017, 01:34 AM
Yes there is. Click on the mouse icon on top left of screen: it will be there in the menu that first appears. It is just named "Software".

Bucky Ball
May 11th, 2017, 03:29 AM
You can also use Synaptic Package Manager. Not sure if that also still comes default with Xubuntu. If not, easy to install with Software or in terminal.

sudo apt install synaptic

Many prefer it.

ubu112
May 11th, 2017, 11:48 PM
Thank you,for your answers.

For now I'm just tring Xubuntu from a live USB and "software" doesn't work,why?

I checked how much memory my system use

xubuntu@xubuntu:~$ free -lm
total used free shared buff/cache available
Mem: 986 275 230 56 479 615
Low: 865 635 230
High: 120 120 0
Swap: 1010 251 759
xubuntu@xubuntu:~$

Can someone,please, explain to me which is the meaning of row "Mem","Low" and "High"

Thank you

RobGoss
May 11th, 2017, 11:58 PM
For now I'm just tring Xubuntu from a live USB and "software" doesn't work,why?

Please keep in mind running the live installer is just for demo purposes, it allows you to test the OS to see how it performs, you can't install software

Dennis N
May 12th, 2017, 12:19 AM
"Software" takes (by my rough estimate) 30 seconds before it is ready to go - at least on the first launch. Needs to access its data, I think.

As for free command, best to use free -h for understandability:

dmn@Sydney:~$ free -h
total used free shared buff/cache available
Mem: 3.7G 752M 2.0G 83M 1.0G 2.7G
Swap: 7.8G 0B 7.8G

Don't know about the low/high mem option and what it signifies.

ubu112
May 12th, 2017, 01:20 AM
I just want to take a look at "software".

I tried it more than ones,for minutes,but nothing happend,I mean it doesn't open.

About memory,from your example,first row "mem"it says Total 3,7 Gb but used+free make 2,75 Gb,and the remaining 1 Gb where is?

At the end "available" 2,7 Gb,what does it mean?and which are differences between free and available?

Thank you

vasa1
May 12th, 2017, 02:49 AM
I just want to take a look at "software".

I tried it more than ones,for minutes,but nothing happend,I mean it doesn't open.

About memory,from your example,first row "mem"it says Total 3,7 Gb but used+free make 2,75 Gb,and the remaining 1 Gb where is?

At the end "available" 2,7 Gb,what does it mean?and which are differences between free and available?

Thank youPlease use a new thread for each new question not really related to the original issue. And when you do so, an appropriate thread title will help attract people knowledgeable on the subject.

Dennis N
May 12th, 2017, 05:42 AM

used + free = total - buffers - cache.

so the other 1 gB is buffers + cache.

Don't know what the story is with "Software". My Xubuntu 16.04 live media has been erased for another install, so I don't have that to test. I can confirm it does work in the installed Xubuntu 16.04.

Update: Tested with Xubuntu 17.04 live media, and "Software" application worked fine, once it loaded it's data, which took over a minute.

Bucky Ball
May 12th, 2017, 10:45 AM
For now I'm just tring Xubuntu from a live USB and "software" doesn't work ...

You are using the computer to post here while in a live session? The machine in question is online? Sorry if it's a silly question. ;)

Autodave
May 12th, 2017, 01:19 PM
The software center is not going to work on a live USB session. First off, the live session has no updates installed. So even if the center opens, you will not get anything because of the software nor being updated in the live session.

ubu112
May 12th, 2017, 04:42 PM
I'd like to say thank you,for your kindness

RobGoss
May 12th, 2017, 04:45 PM
+1 Autodave

RobGoss
May 12th, 2017, 04:47 PM
If you want to use the software center you will have to do a complete installation of Xubuntu

Dennis N
May 12th, 2017, 11:26 PM
If you want to use the software center you will have to do a complete installation of Xubuntu

Software Center ("Software") does work in the live media at least in 17.04. I took the attached screenshot from Xubuntu 17.04 live media. I installed the Clocks application with it as well, so it is functional.

ubu112
May 13th, 2017, 02:13 PM
Thank you "Dennis N",now I know its look

ricardisimo
May 14th, 2017, 09:20 PM
"Software" is difficult to find, and is only categorized under "All", rather than under "System" or "Settings", as the other related programs are. I'm pretty sure this wasn't the case in either 16.04 or before.

Also, it takes an exceptionally long time to load. Had to close it and reload a few times.

Finally, search function is only on the main page, rather than throughout subsections, etc.

In other words, there are better package handlers.