PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] After upgrade, Firefox and Thunderbird does not render text, tty consoles are lost

tuuk
May 3rd, 2017, 10:41 AM
After I have upgraded to Ubuntu 17.04, a few things on my desktop are broken.

First of all, the tty consoles are not reachable any more. Ctrl_Alt-F1,..,F6 does not work. When I press one of those combinations, the desktop GUI freezes and it comes back as normal when I press Ctrl-Alt-F7.

Firefox does not display any/some of the text on some pages. For example, Google search results do not show any text, only some Unicode tiles (possibly, where the title of each search result is displayed). See the attached screenshot. On the other hand, Chromium does not suffer any of these, and works normally. Thunderbird also has some problems displaying html emails. Some html emails show no text. Possibly, FF and TB are affected by a common problem with rendering.

Since Chromium is working fine, I am inclined to rule out a video driver issue, but who knows... My GPU is a AMD Caicos (Radeon HD 7450 as reported by lshw). Could there be a problem with the AMD driver?

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I would love to hear about them. Also, please let me know if there are any diagnostics that I can run.

Thanks.
tuuk