PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] New installation On A Dell

RobGoss
May 2nd, 2017, 11:49 PM
Hello everyone I have a issue with a new / older machine I just got today, It's a Dell inspiron 531, it has vista but I wanted to just wipe it and install Ubuntu, problem is when I try using F-12 to boot off the USB I'm greeted with a BIOS login windows asking me for a password, is there any way for me to just boot this machine off the USB and install Ubuntu?

Here is the screen shot of the BIOS login

Thanks fo rany help with this

QIII
May 3rd, 2017, 12:03 AM
Most Dells have a "password jumper" on the mobo. Remove the jumper to bypass the BIOS password.

Where that jumper is on any paricular model is anyone's guess, unfortunately.

RobGoss
May 3rd, 2017, 12:22 AM
Most Dells have a "password jumper" on the mobo. Remove the jumper to bypass the BIOS password.

Where that jumper is on any paricular model is anyone's guess, unfortunately.

Hi QIII, yes I remember doing this to a Dell optiplex I got a few months ago and after that it was all good. Let me see if I can search Google to find out were it's located. I have the same 531 and I never encountered this

Thank you my friend

RobGoss
May 3rd, 2017, 12:58 AM
OK I was able to clear the BIOS password on this type of machine by simple removing the ( Lithium ) battery, once that was removed I now have Ubuntu all loaded up and ready to run... Thanks QIII for pointing the password jumper out

Have a great night everyone