PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Fresh install of 17.04 no longer boots .

Alligator
May 2nd, 2017, 03:23 AM
Installed 17.04 on laptop, worked for a week or two. Now just shows the UBUNTU logo. I tried to re-install from cd, but I get an internal error.
/usr/lib/ubiquity/bin/ubiquity
ubiquity 17.04.9
ubiquity crashed with dbus. exceptions

No cursor to scroll and retrieve more info.

Can't do anything. Is there an updated version to download and try again?

Ron

DuckHook
May 2nd, 2017, 07:49 PM
I assume you meant DVD since the install image hasn't fitted on a CD for many versions now. If you in fact used a CD, that's the problem right there.

Have you hash-checked the download and the resulting image?
Does it run as a Live/USB?
Why install Zesty (17.04) and not an LTS like Xenial (16.04)?
Have you tried a Live/USB of Xenial, and if so, did it work?
Please provide complete laptop specs.

Alligator
May 3rd, 2017, 01:19 AM
I used a DVD, I've never had this main problems installing before. I justed used the install from the "try without installing" and selected installing a second copy (for something different) of 17.04( the latest??) - the laptop locked up, yet again. I have an Aspire 8730-6031. I should have left Debian on it, but not as much fun - whoops.

Alligator
May 3rd, 2017, 02:10 AM
I'm going to download 16.04 LTS, which I have on my desktop. Let's end this. I don't know how to put the "solved" in the right spot

DuckHook
May 3rd, 2017, 02:51 AM
I used a DVD, I've never had this main problems installing before. I justed used the install from the "try without installing" and selected installing a second copy (for something different) of 17.04( the latest??) - the laptop locked up, yet again. I have an Aspire 8730-6031. I should have left Debian on it, but not as much fun - whoops.
Please answer all questions. Otherwise there is no point in our trying to render help. In particular:

…Have you hash-checked the download and the resulting image?
…Why install Zesty (17.04) and not an LTS like Xenial (16.04)?
…Have you tried a Live/USB of Xenial, and if so, did it work?
The reason for hash-checking is to see if you have a corrupted download or a corrupted burn to DVD. The reason for asking about Zesty vs Xenial is because LTS releases are more stable and tend to have less problems. Unless you have a need for a non-LTS because of bleeding-edge hardware needs or app compatibility, the usual advice for general users is to stick to LTS releases.

DuckHook
May 3rd, 2017, 02:59 AM
I'm going to download 16.04 LTS, which I have on my desktop. Let's end this. I don't know how to put the "solved" in the right spotDid not see this before my last reply:

Make sure to hash-check both your download and the burn. Try running it as a LiveDVD before installing.