PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Questions about Unity's battery manager

rrdnt
April 30th, 2017, 04:08 PM
A very newbie question. My desktop environment right now is Unity (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS). I find when the battery is running low, a warming will pop up with message such as battery critical. I quite like this feature, so a few questions.

What's the name of this battery manager?
Which command can I use to configure or launch it? (I know I can configure through system settings' power but I want to use this app in other environment where there is no Unity like UI to click system settings, etc.)

Or any place there contains related doc? Searching with keywords like 'ubuntu unity battery manager' doesn't find the name, etc. information.

Thanks

Autodave
April 30th, 2017, 05:31 PM
Not quite sure what you are trying to do or ask. The power manager is on all Ububtu flavors: Xubuntu, Lubuntu, etc. If NOT in stalled, simply go to the software center or synaptic and search and install.

rrdnt
April 30th, 2017, 06:27 PM
Not quite sure what you are trying to do or ask. The power manager is on all Ububtu flavors: Xubuntu, Lubuntu, etc. If NOT in stalled, simply go to the software center or synaptic and search and install.

Right now my Unity desktop environment already has battery manager installed. But I may want to use it in other environment. But I do not know the name of package. For instance when executing `apt-get install <package name of unity battery manager>` What name should I place after apt-get install command?

Thanks

Autodave
April 30th, 2017, 07:43 PM
On Xubuntu (which I am using) you would right click on top banner and then Panel and then ADD New. From the drop down list, choose Power Manager Plugin.

Is that what you are looking for?

Frogs Hair
May 1st, 2017, 03:12 AM
What other environment ?

echo $XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP

rrdnt
May 1st, 2017, 07:34 PM

What (power manager's) name should I use when installing power manager in terminal? e.g. apt-get install <power manager>

My problem is I don't know the name. Thanks

rrdnt
May 1st, 2017, 07:37 PM
On Xubuntu (which I am using) you would right click on top banner and then Panel and then ADD New. From the drop down list, choose Power Manager Plugin.

Is that what you are looking for?

No. I am looking for the name/ package name of power manager used by Unity desktop. Thanks.

rrdnt
May 1st, 2017, 07:38 PM
What other environment ?

echo $XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP

Executing the command returns Unity.

Autodave
May 2nd, 2017, 01:28 AM
Go into SYNAPTIC and search for POWER MANAGER.

Frogs Hair
May 2nd, 2017, 02:00 PM
Right now my Unity desktop environment already has battery manager installed. But I may want to use it in other environment.

You wrote you could access the power manager in Unity , but I was trying to find out what the other environment was.

rrdnt
May 2nd, 2017, 04:00 PM
You wrote you could access the power manager in Unity , but I was trying to find out what the other environment was.

I want to use it in i3-wm. Previously I used i3 but I found there is no, e.g., alarming when battery falls below a particular threshold.

Frogs Hair
May 2nd, 2017, 04:12 PM
Some use the xfce4 power manager, but the methods to get it working in i3 vary based on a web search.

rrdnt
May 2nd, 2017, 04:15 PM
Go into SYNAPTIC and search for POWER MANAGER.

After installing synaptic, I notice gnome-power-manager is the only power manager tool installed (`apt-get install gnome-power-manager` shows it's installed already); however, I check with command `ps -ef | grep gnome-power` or `ps -ef | grep gnome | grep power` doesn't find any process related gnome power manager as suggested by gnome manual.

https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-power-manager/stable/using.html.en

How do I find which power manager is running or used by Unity? Thanks

Frogs Hair
May 2nd, 2017, 04:32 PM
After installing synaptic, I notice gnome-power-manager is the only power manager tool installed (`apt-get install gnome-power-manager` shows it's installed already); however, I check with command `ps -ef | grep gnome-power` or `ps -ef | grep gnome | grep power` doesn't find any process related gnome power manager as suggested by gnome manual.

https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-power-manager/stable/using.html.en

How do I find which power manager is running or used by Unity? Thanks

Unity uses the gnome power manager, but it has modifications to suit Ubuntu.

rrdnt
May 3rd, 2017, 06:32 PM
Unity uses the gnome power manager, but it has modifications to suit Ubuntu.

So which command can I use to launch the setting of (ubuntu version) gnome power manager? I want to configure it.
And what command can I use to start/ execute gnome power manager other than Unity desktop environment?

Thank you for your kindly help.

Frogs Hair
May 3rd, 2017, 07:38 PM
It would have to be added to the i3 window manager configuration and I have no information on how to go about that . As posted earlier some users have configured the xfce4 power manger to work with i3 , but you would have to research how it was done. I did get some hits in my search.